Central CERT Video
About the film: This film, created by the Central CERT to highlight groups in their region, was originally aired on the public access “Through The Lens” program on Minnesota Public TV.
- Introduction; Itasca State Park – Mike Kovocovitch, Park Manager (9:00)
- The Water Foundation – David Winkelman, Director (8:39)
- Brainerd Public Schools – Earl Wolleat, Director; Johnson Controls – Jeffery Schiltz, Account Executive (9:32)
- Hunt Utilities Group – Paul & Lynn Hunt, Owners; Ryan Hunt, Developer; Bob McLean, General Manager (7:11)
- Central MN Ethanol Co-op – Kerry Nixon, General Manager; Sebesta Blomberg & Associates – Cecil Massie, Engineer (6:26)
- Rural Renewable Energy Alliance – Jason Edens, Director (6:59)
- Green Range Renewable Energy – Jay Idzorek & Ryan Hunt, Partners; Closing (7:26)
The film was made by Erika Johnson, Natural Innovations.
Looking back: Erika recently took a moment to reflect on the filmmaking process.
“CERTs was ahead of the game with these two documentaries. At the time, the Central CERT Steering Committee didn’t realize that the idea of covering real people making positive changes was at the forefront of environmentally themed productions being produced throughout the nation.
“We set out with a team of college film student volunteers and myself (as just a newbie in the videography business), to capture stories for these two documentaries. We used CERTs’ invaluable website and information, and, of course, Joel and Lissa, who helped to find the locations and examples to highlight.
“This project was then the catalyst to a larger project done in collaboration with Windustry and Twin Cities Public Television called New Energy, a fresh look at how the Midwest is creating a green energy economy. New Energy received top reviews and aired on multiple stations in five Midwestern states.”
Since the completion of the Central CERT video, Erika has expanded the number of projects under her belt, most recently creating her third program for National Geographic’s Wild Chronicles series on environmental topics internationally.