Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
About the Minnesota Department of Commerce
Commerce protects the public interest through a broad range of regulations and programs. We oversee more than 40 industry areas in Minnesota and license about 250,000 professionals and businesses to ensure that their services and products are fair, accessible and comply with state laws.
About the State Energy Office, Division of Energy Resources
We advocate on behalf of the public interest in regulated-utility matters; conduct environmental review of proposed energy facilities; oversee utility energy conservation programs; and administer the federal Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
This is an exciting time to join Commerce as we set up numerous new energy programs passed by the 2023 Minnesota Legislature and signed into law by Governor Walz. This attorney position provides legal services to the leadership and staff of the Division of Energy Resources, regulated industries, and the general public regarding application of the statutes and rules related to energy and telecom under Commerce's jurisdiction.
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected] and indicate what assistance is needed.
Salary Range: $36.34 - $54.07 / hourly; $75,877 - $112,898 / annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
FLSA Status: Exempt - Professional
Working Title: Associate Counsel
Job Class: Staff Attorney 2
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Commerce Dept / Commerce-MAPE
Division/Unit: Commissioners Office / Legal Services
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: No
Location: St. Paul
Telework Eligible: Yes
This attorney position provides legal services to the leadership and staff of the Energy Division, regulated industries, and the general public regarding application of the statutes and rules related to energy and telecom under Commerce's jurisdiction.
This is an exciting time to join our Energy team as it sets up numerous new energy programs passed by the 2023 Minnesota Legislature and signed into law by Governor Walz.
This position's responsibilities include:
- Conducting legal research and providing information and analysis with respect to application of statutes and rules, particularly in the areas of energy and telecom.
- Assist in the drafting and review of docket filings before the Public Utilities Commission.
- Providing Department support to the Office of the Minnesota Attorney General for ongoing legal actions.
- Assisting the Department in dealing and negotiating with outside counsel where violations of agency statutes or rules have occurred.
- Assisting in creating and conducting legal trainings.
- Assisting in the development and enactment of legislative initiatives and rulemaking.
We have a hybrid work environment with potential for significant telework.
- Active license in good standing to practice law in Minnesota.
- 4 years legal experience in litigation and/or administrative law.
- Strong legal writing, legal analysis, and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the rules of evidence, legal procedure, and legal research methodology.
- Experience drafting and editing legal documents, motions and briefs, and legal memos.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, the relevant energy and telecom statutes and rules within Commerce’s jurisdiction.
- Experience advising on the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, the Official Records Act, and the Minnesota Administrative Procedure Act.
- Experience with litigation in state and federal courts and administrative law issues including conducting discovery, researching complex regulatory issues, drafting briefs and memos on complex regulatory issues, and successfully settling cases.
- Experience with areas of law with intersecting state and federal regulations.
Requires occasional moving of articles such as boxes, accounting records, laptop computer, and portable printer.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
Job offer is contingent upon passing reference checks to verify job-related credentials, educational/licensure verification, and a criminal background check prior to appointment.
Job ID: 71315
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of the posting page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email [email protected]. For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Jody Northouse at [email protected].