Codes Program Manager
CEE is a community-based clean energy nonprofit with offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis and St. Paul's Midway. We provide practical energy solutions for homes, businesses, and communities to cut energy waste and harmful emissions. In 2023, CEE worked with the state of Minnesota and industry stakeholders to fund and launch the Minnesota Advanced Energy Codes Collaborative, to help achieve the state’s ambitious targets for a net zero commercial energy code, with high compliance. This effort is closely aligned with CEE’s Efficient Technology Accelerator, which aims to advance energy and emissions-reducing technologies quicker into the market and make them standard practice, and ultimately part of the energy code. We collaborate regularly with field peers and partners and employ curious people who enjoy learning. Our workplace invites open door communications, respect for diverse backgrounds and points of view, and an emphasis on work-life balance. This is a Minnesota-based position.
Dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The Codes Program Manager is responsible for building stakeholder support and helping coordinate the delivery of technical services that result in the adoption of advanced and net zero energy codes for the state of Minnesota and Tribal Nations. The initial focus will be on the commercial energy code, for which the state has established a commitment to reach net zero by 2036, with the majority of the energy reductions coming from energy efficiency. The Program Manager will work closely with an internal CEE team, expert consultants, state agencies and external stakeholders in helping to craft and implement a roadmap to achieving this goal. The ideal candidate will have exceptional communication, persuasive and relationship-building skills; experience in project management; expert stakeholder management skills; and a background in or ability to absorb and communicate complex technical subject matter.
- Coordinate a project advisory committee composed of key stakeholders, including state agencies unions, builders, Tribal Nations, design professionals, utilities, building officials, advocates and policymakers
- Work individually with stakeholders to build support for advanced energy codes and specific amendments to the existing energy code; identify and work to address stakeholder concerns; facilitate stakeholder activities (such as writing support letters) that build support for advanced codes
- Help to facilitate the involvement of stakeholders in related CEE-led code compliance efforts
- Provide input and advise on the development of technical amendments to support advanced energy codes
- Communicate technical energy code details to key stakeholders
- Develop and implement strategies to build support for and ensure adoption of advanced energy codes, including identifying key roadblocks and mitigation strategies to overcome these roadblocks
- Oversee all project communications, including acting as public spokesperson, providing project updates for stakeholders, and writing news releases
- Work with 3-5 Minnesota Tribal Nations to help them adopt advanced energy codes, increase code compliance, and develop strategies to address efficiency in existing buildings; develop scopes of work, oversee and coordinate the delivery of technical services with support from CEE staff and external consultants
- 3+ years demonstrated experience in project management.
- Some experience and familiarity with energy efficiency in commercial buildings, or a related subject matter; experience with energy codes desired but not required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building and managing external stakeholder relationships
- Ability to craft compelling arguments, create persuasive deliverables, and think strategically
- Familiarity with governmental regulatory processes desired
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technical subject matter
- Strong analytical skills
- BA/BS in related field advanced degree in a related field desired
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the successful performance of the essential job duties will also be considered
- Desire to work for a mission-driven organization and play a role in addressing climate change.
- Senior title will be considered for those with significant experience.
Apply online by visiting us on our website!