Clean Energy Job Board
Center for Energy and Environment is a community-based clean energy nonprofit with offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis, St. Paul’s Midway, and satellite locations in other cities. We provide practical energy solutions for homes, businesses, and communities to cut energy waste and harmful emissions. We collaborate regularly with field peers and partners, and employ curious people who enjoy learning and contributing to Minnesota’s quality of life and economy. Our workplace invites open door communications, respect for diverse backgrounds and points of view, and an emphasis on work-life balance.
Dependent upon qualifications and experience, we expect the hiring range for this position will be $73k - $80k.
The Center for Energy and Environment (CEE) seeks a full time Commissioning Engineer to work as part of a team to investigate and deliver energy savings recommendations to clients in a wide variety of buildings and to support other departments at CEE. Engineers at CEE focus their talents on all aspects of energy efficiency in large buildings from the time the building is new (new construction commissioning) to ongoing operations (ongoing or continuous commissioning) and periodic energy tune ups (retro/recommissioning). Engineers are responsible for the investigation of energy consumption from heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems from both a field measurement and design perspective.
This is a full-time position that provides a wide range of benefits including Paid Time Off (PTO), affordable medical, company-paid dental, life and long-term disability insurance, paid parental leave, as well as a profit-sharing retirement plan. This position is based in our North Loop office but the nature of the work requires CEE engineers to go to buildings and investigate the HVAC systems and meet with clients.
The Energy Efficiency Engineer has no direct reports and reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
- Conduct surveys of customer’s facilities and assess the current condition, operational performance, deficiencies of the buildings systems and infrastructure including HVAC and electrical systems.
- Review design documents to meet owners project requirements.
- Develop and deliver functional testing to assure equipment and assemblies have been installed and operated based on the contract documents.
- Participate in project meetings to direct commissioning activities and document outcomes.
- Develop and support the calculation of building energy use and energy savings from implementation of energy savings measures.
- Assist in the management of projects.
- Perform on-site information gathering, testing and technical measurements such as indoor air quality testing, light level and acoustic measurements, data logging of mechanical equipment and indoor environments.
- Assist other departments internal to CEE, such as research and new program development, with experience-based recommendations and creative ideas.
- Other duties as assigned or apparent.
- 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related field), or advanced HVAC technical experience
- 3 years working as a commissioning engineer
- Familiar with ASHRAE audit levels 1 - 2 - 3
- Ability to prioritize workload and work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to travel between office and working sites.
- Ability to view and operate a personal computer, either desktop or laptop, for extended periods of time creating, composing and reviewing documents and spreadsheets.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a minimal amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to carry tools bags, up to 40 pounds, necessary for investigation work.
- Able to climb ladders or stairs to access mechanical equipment
- Primary working hours are within daytime business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Ability to work beyond typical working hours as needed or required to meet deadlines or to investigate a building during of-peak hours.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform work indoors in an office environment such as cubicle, open office or private office.
- Ability to work out of the office in the field which may include working around rotating equipment, high voltage, or warm, humid areas.
- Ability to travel to national conferences to expand CEE’s knowledge base or to present findings from work CEE has performed.
- All safety equipment needed to perform job will be provided by CEE along with training on how to use safety equipment.
Throughout the pandemic, CEE has made the safety of our workforce our first priority. We require all employees to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is provided based on disability or sincerely held religious belief. Candidates will be required to provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
Apply online by going to https://www.mncee.org/work-with-us