Clean Energy Job Board
A nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, the Great Plains Institute (GPI) is transforming the energy system to benefit the economy and environment. Increased demand for GPI’s unique blend of energy expertise and consensus-derived solutions has driven organizational and programmatic growth. With headquarters in Minnesota, GPI’s operations are national in scope while retaining a core competency in the Midcontinent region. GPI is powered by more than 50 professionals and is supported by some of the nation’s most respected philanthropies. Please visit www.betterenergy.org to learn more.
The Great Plains Institute (GPI) is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation based in Minneapolis, MN, and dedicated to transforming the energy system to benefit the economy and environment. We specialize in using consensus-based strategies to solve our energy and environmental challenges. Through research and analysis, consensus policy development, technology acceleration, and local action, we are leading the transition to clean, efficient, and secure energy: www.betterenergy.org.
GPI has a fast-paced entrepreneurial culture in which people enjoy both great freedom and great responsibility. People who thrive in this culture take personal responsibility for seeing what needs doing and getting it done. They are self-starters, problem-solvers, and quick to help others. They work hard because they believe in the mission and get to spend most of their time at the intersection of what they love to do and are good at. It’s a working environment in which performance is judged more on results than on time spent in a chair. We aspire to make this the best job anyone has ever had.
$45,000 - $55,000
To further support GPI’s mission, the Communications Assistant will support the Communications team in its efforts to increase the organization’s impact.
This position is an opportunity for a recent graduate or someone early in their communications career to contribute to GPI’s mission and for professional development by working on several key communications channels and functions, such as GPI’s website, social media, and program support.
GPI’s goal for this position is to provide a stepping stone into a successful career in communications. Through this position, the individual will have gained valuable experience in social media management, digital content design, project management, search engine optimization, strategic communications, writing, and editing. Furthermore, they will have the opportunity to work closely with and learn from experts who work every day to decarbonize the largest carbon dioxide-emitting sectors in the country.
- project management for content development
- fulfill staff requests for GPI brand collateral (logos, templates, etc.)
- administrative support
- other duties as assigned
Digital communications support:
- assist with social media posts and other content development
- migrate website content
- assist staff with uploading blog posts and publications onto GPI website and other communication platforms
The position may include drafting original content and graphics, depending on experience
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- commitment to the mission and goals of GPI
- experience in communications, journalism, public relations, graphic design, or a related field
- ability to maintain confidentiality and work with integrity
- possess strong written and oral communication skills
- organized, creative, and detail-oriented with an ability to work independently
- ability to meet deadlines
- willingness to learn and experiment with new project management and design platforms
- experience with project management
- experience with social media tools (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- experience with graphic design software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator)
- familiarity and experience with editing website content
- basic understanding of HTML
- basic understanding of WordPress content management system
- familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite
Desktop computer, laptop, computer devices (keyboard, mouse), and telephone.
Requires working at a desk (either sitting or standing) for extended periods. Extensive use of devices (e.g., keyboard, mouse), as well as usage of telephone/headset.
Apply here. Required application materials include a resume and one-page cover letter. We will consider applications on a rolling basis.
The Great Plains Institute is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. GPI is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace for all.