Clean Energy Job Board
Communications Associate - Siting
Clean Grid Alliance (CGA) is a nonprofit organization whose 50+ members include nonprofit environmental, public interest, and clean energy advocacy organizations, farmer organizations, wind, solar, and energy storage developers and manufacturers, and other businesses that support the development of renewable energy. CGA is a vital player in the fast-changing renewable energy sector. Renewable energy is growing rapidly and includes wind, solar, storage, and other emerging technologies—all of which will need CGA's expertise and engagement in the years to come. CGA’s current footprint includes nine states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri.
The salary range for the Communications Associate, Siting Program position is $40,000 - $45,000, but depends upon experience and the candidate’s qualifications. Excellent benefits include employer paid health and dental insurance, generous vacation, paid holidays, and employer contribution to retirement plan after employee is vested.
8-5 p.m. CT
Communications Activities (40%)
- Synthesize clean energy research to create fact sheets, presentations, social media and other resources
- Write and design blogs/social media posts, informed by clean energy research/news, for the My Renewable Resource website
- Stay up to date with clean energy news by subscribing to relevant news outlet’s newsletters
- Upload fact sheets, presentations, and reports to the organization’s website
- Write and place editorials, Letters to the Editor and/or press releases in targeted state-wide publications
- Design and implement paid-media campaigns in newspapers, radio, and online, as directed
- Find and share news items on the organization’s website
- Pitch subject matter experts for radio interviews, as directed
- Arrange reporter education meetings, as needed
Clean Grid Alliance is looking for a Communications Associate to monitor renewable energy opposition activity in the Midwest and provide communications support based on the present opposition in our communities. This role is a combination of research of ordinances, tracking, and compiling news and direct communications responsibilities such as designing social media and writing blog posts. The Communications Associate plays a large role in coordinating broad efforts that support “renewable ready” communities and helps enable wind and solar projects to be successfully sited and built in this region. The Communications Associate reports to the Communications Director and interfaces regularly with CGA’s Project Manager for its siting program.
This is a permanent, full-time position based in our St. Paul, MN office at 570 Asbury Street, Suite 201, St. Paul, MN 55104. (Work from Home/In Office Hybrid)
Opposition Research & Monitoring (25%)
- Research wind and solar ordinances and moratoria and maintain a datasheet/list (7 states)
- Use research to develop earned-media strategies in “at-risk” communities (heavily opposed to renewable energy)
- Monitor opposition groups on social media; prepare responses for “myths” surrounding clean energy
- Attend various team meetings, such as policy team calls, to gather legislative intel and report opposition updates between teams
- Monitor the MISO Queue for planned project locations and compare against ordinance/moratoria tracker
- Research community characteristics for prospective development areas and draft summary reports
Event Coordination Support (20%)
- Assist with planning Wind/Solar 101 events; responsibilities include coordinating dates and event details with participating industry partners, and event details including marketing, catering and other logistics.
- Travel to Wind/Solar 101 events to manage event set-up, guest sign-in and other logistics; travel needs expected for ~10 101 events within the regional footprint.
Administrative Support (15%)
- Coordinate with other state and regional groups on clean energy activities and special projects
- Coordinate monthly state calls with industry partners
- Assist with other virtual meetings, such as bimonthly peer convenings with industry partners
- Maintain confidential contact lists
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 2 years’ experience, desired. Can be a combination of work, school, and internships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Detail-oriented and organized
- Efficiency and persuasiveness in oral and written communications required
- Strong interest in research and energy issues
- Proactive work style and strong organizational skills
- Experience working with large groups of individuals/organizations with different points of view required
- Proven ability to meet frequent deadlines and balance multiple tasks
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint, Outlook and Zoom required
- Experience with Google Sheets and Excel required
- Experience or interest in basic graphic design, using programs such as Canva or Adobe Creative Cloud desired
- Desktop research experience, desired
- Experience or interest in understanding and utilizing datasets desired
- Dedication to advancing the cause of renewable energy highly desired
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with the subject Communications Associate, Siting Program. Word and PDF format are preferred.
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms.
Clean Grid Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and hires regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by law.