Clean Energy Job Board
Environmental Initiative is a nonprofit organization working to advance social equity and environmental health. We do this by:
- Convening and facilitating conversations among diverse stakeholders to address environmental, economic, and public health issues.
- Managing projects to improve our air, land, and water.
- Planning and hosting events for leaders from nonprofits, communities, business, and government agencies to share information, network, and learn from one another.
We believe building relationships, collaboration, and working across differences are the keys to fostering an inclusive, just, and thriving world.
The Communications Manager plays an important role in raising Environmental Initiative’s profile and strengthening the organization’s brand. The person in this position will partner with Environmental Initiative staff across all teams to execute a broad range of communications activities for events, projects, fundraising, and the organization.
The ideal candidate is a creative and motivated communications practitioner with a talent for managing communications projects and collaborating with project teams. This position reports to Emily Haley, communications director and will not supervise direct reports.
This is a part-time position (32 hours/week) anticipated to start in February 2023 with an annual full-time equivalent starting salary in the range of $50,000 – $60,000. The role may increase to full-time dependent upon funding.
Environmental Initiative offers a flexible benefits package to all employees, including paid time off, a group health care plan, dental insurance, health savings (HSA) and flexible spending (FSA) accounts, life insurance, long and short-term disability coverage, and a 403(b) retirement plan and matching program. Environmental Initiative also embraces a flexible working environment, with the option to work remotely and determine a regular work schedule that accommodates each staff members’ needs and preferences.
- Manage Environmental Initiative’s communications calendar.
- Navigate project and event communications deadlines collaboratively with communications and project teams.
- Supervise content creation for Environmental Initiative’s social media platforms.
- Collaborate with communications directors on social media strategy and evaluation.
- Develop project communications plans with input from project leads.
- Serve as the communications lead on projects by participating in project team meetings, stakeholder meetings, and implementing project communications plans.
- Create and execute print and digital communications materials as aligned with organizational priorities and project communications plans. Examples include presentations, media releases, spoken remarks, newsletter content, website content, blog posts, reports, and social media content.
- Plan and execute project and campaign media relations strategies.
- Assist with management of Environmental Initiative’s website and blog including writing, editing, posting, and recruiting guest blog authors.
- Support additional organizational and project communications activities, as needed.
- Serve as a member of the organization’s communications team.
- Eligible candidates must have at least four years of experience working in communications or public relations in nonprofit, government, or business settings.
- Project management, organizational, and time management skills – including the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines at one time.
- Ability to lead teams, and participate as a team member. Ability to build and maintain cross-cultural relationships.
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently.
- Experience managing third-party services providers such as graphic designers, web developers, and public relations firms.
- Superior writing and editing skills, including knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with content management (CMS), relationship management (CRM), and email management systems.
- Proficient with Mac computer systems and Microsoft Office.
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite is a plus, but not required.
Candidates from Minnesota and across the United States are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. The person in the position is expected to be physically present for certain in-person meetings or events with Environmental Initiative providing reimbursement for required travel expenses. Occasional lifting, moving, or transporting materials or equipment weighing up to 30 pounds may be required.
All Environmental Initiative employees are required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (religious or health-based exceptions may apply and are accommodated on a case-by-case basis). A MacBook Pro laptop is provided to all employees, and regular communication with Environmental Initiative staff, contractors, and partners via email, phone, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams is expected.