Clean Energy Job Board
Director, Corporate Sustainability
The Director, Corporate Sustainability, will serve in a multi-faceted capacity to support a growing EDF. Reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Services & Risk Management, the Director’s primary function is to lead the organization’s sustainability efforts by developing, delivering, and monitoring organizational sustainability and issue monitoring, stakeholder consultation, materiality, risk analysis, transparency, and reporting. As a key player on the Corporate Services team, the Director will find and implement new, innovative, and economically reductive ways to reduce our impact on the planet.
Location Note: This role can be fully remote in the US, or hybrid in our New York, Washington DC, Raleigh, NC or Austin TX offices.
• Lead the formulation and execution of the organization’s long-term sustainability vision, mission and operation principles, and lead the development of a high-level strategy to support them
• Identify risks and opportunities to the organization based on stakeholder expectations and design proactive mitigation and response strategies
• Develop and maintain progress dashboards and metrics at a regional and global portfolio level with yearly and quarterly milestones as applicable
• Support fundraising efforts for internal sustainability projects and initiatives
• Secure and leverage senior level commitment and support for integrating sustainable development into core processes and decision-making
• Build effective partnerships with external organizations to support sustainability efforts
• Represent EDF at sustainability-specific conference, sharing knowledge and best practices
• Serve as the internal leader and “go to” expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics
• Propose and seek consensus for the organization’s policy position on key sustainability issues such as carbon footprint measurement and mitigation
• Advance sustainable design in offices, provide guidance on commercial interiors and base building projects pursuing custom sustainability as well as certification systems including LEED, WELL, Fitwel, and Living Building Challenge
• Manage employee engagement by co-leading the staff Sustainability Council; collaborate, coordinate & coach volunteers to support objectives, integrating stakeholders from across the organization as appropriate
• Collaborate with office management staff to develop and manage sustainable environmental, health and safety strategies for the organization, including setting goals and tracking/aggregating performance data
• Conduct analysis of current policies, costs, and benefits associated with implementing sustainable practices. Work cross-functionally to embed sustainability into relevant processes and procedures relating to purchasing, procurement, and travel
• Establish and maintain internal and external reporting, improve tools and processes for data collection and tracking
• Monitor data, financials and goals of EDF’s sustainability initiatives and report on key performance indicators
• Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
• 10+ years of relevant work experience
• Excellent understanding of generalist sustainability concepts, including social and environmental standards
• Excellent organizational and people skills, project management skills, with an ability to openly convey information to team members in a timely, concise manner
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse environments and has organizational change agent experience
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others
• Strong leadership, influencing and communication skills
• Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Advanced degree in Sustainability, Environmental Science, or related field
• LEED AP, PMP, BREEAM, and/or other sustainability credentials a plus
• Strong research skills, both quantitative and qualitative
• Additional subject matter expertise including sustainability management, reporting and transparency, inclusion and diversity, and/or supply chain
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.