Director of Engineering Operations
Geronimo Energy, a National Grid company, is a full-service renewable energy development company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in southwest Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, New York, Colorado, Alabama and Michigan. Geronimo Energy provides custom renewable energy solutions for utilities and corporations looking to harness renewable energy for business growth. Geronimo Energy has developed a multi-gigawatt renewable energy portfolio of projects that are either currently under construction or in operation throughout the United States. Geronimo has an open work environment that is flat by design and in function.
Information not provided
40 hours per week
The Director of Engineering will plan and direct all aspects of engineering activities and projects within the operations department. The Director will also be responsible for managing the operations engineering team overseeing the owned assets, wind and solar, and provide technical evaluation and design support for operating projects. The Director and team will provide field engineering, conceptual and detailed design for assets in operation.
The Director will ensure that all engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformity with the Geronimo’s established policies and objectives while incorporating all functions related to safety testing, repair, and maintenance of all equipment used within the owned assets.
- Increase asset optimization and plant profitability within engineering design parameters, in conformance with approved procedures and permits. Analyze plant metrics on a consistent basis to find anomalies and improve plant performance.
- Ensure the operational assets provide maximum availability/reliability in a safe, economical, and proactive manner by providing direction and supervision to operations personnel.
- Managing engineering projects end-to-end
- Coordinating internal teams, including security, IT, SCADA, Control and Protection
- Manage performance of work teams through clear communication of expectations, engaging team in work completion and process improvement.
- Review operations, maintenance and warranty activities of equipment, ensuring compliance with manufacturers' requirements.
- Communicate regularly with all personnel to ensure satisfaction of internal/external customer requirements.
- Ensure required regulatory and technical training is identified and completed for the work team and self, including applicable qualifications.
- Participate in or lead business unit improvement initiatives.
- Assist with managing to plant budget and optimizing plant P&L.
- Provide input to the Development and Construction teams during those phases of projects including preliminary design and feasibility during project development, and engineering, procurement and commissioning support during construction.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of design standards and criteria for project infrastructure.
- Oversee quality aspects of engineering and construction, including ensuring compliance with design standards and accuracy of final documentation and test data.
- Manage and provide oversight of external professionals who provide technical expertise and project support through design, construction, and operations.
- Provide technical support to plant operations as may be required for project infrastructure, facilities and systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a specific engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years in project operations, engineering and/or construction.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a broad range of wind project or other power generation development, design, permitting, construction or operations.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand technical documentation related to renewable energy projects such as interconnection agreements, facilities studies, permitting documents, local codes and regulations, civil and electrical construction specifications.
- Proficiency using personal computer tools such as MS Office, Word, Excel, NetSuite, MS Project, Visio, AutoCad and other database managements systems.
Strong preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Professional Engineer (PE) Registration
- Electrical system analytics/SCADA/DA systems, Communication, and Relay Experience
- High Voltage Experience
- Advanced degrees in Engineering or Business
- Proficiency in PSSE, PSLF, PSCAD, ETAP and/or EasyPower
- NERC Compliance experience