Clean Energy Job Board
Director, ESG & Sustainability (R5519)
At Elastic, we see endless possibility in a world of endless data. And we use the power of search to help people and organizations turn that possibility into results. Elastic is the leading platform for search-powered solutions. With solutions in Enterprise Search, Observability, and Security, we help improve customer and employee search experiences, keep critical applications running smoothly, and protect against cyber threats. Elastic enables organizations worldwide to use the power of Elastic, including Netflix, Uber, BBC, Microsoft, and thousands of others.
Elastic was built on a foundation of being free and open, which trickles down to how we work. We’re a distributed organization and have been from the beginning. Being distributed isn’t just a way of doing business—it’s a mentality that is at the core of our culture.
Our collaborators - our customers, partners, community members, employees, and investors, face ever increasing societal challenges. From the climate crisis to global social changes and geopolitical upheaval. When it comes to our growth and success as a global business, people and culture are absolutely vital to everything we do. We recognize that working to address these challenges is a significant part of driving our success as a business. That is why Elastic launched our Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report | Elastic earlier this year.
As Elastic’s first dedicated position focused exclusively on ESG and Sustainability, the ESG/Sustainability Director will play a meaningful role in crafting and building out our Sustainability workstream verticals and strategy from the ground up. You will also work across Elastic to measure and communicate the impact of Elastic’s broader Sustainability program.
This is a highly cross-functional role that will collaborate with a team of Elastic partners through vision-setting, strategy development, implementation and reporting. We’re looking for an experienced and hardworking leader to join us at a pivotal time for Elastic – and the world.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match donations 1:1 up to $1500 USD (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love.
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
The typical starting Total Cash Compensation range for new hires in this role is between $153,800 and $211,500, which consists of a Base Salary or a Base Salary plus a Target Commission, depending on the specific role. The Base Salary offered may vary depending on factors including skills and experience.
Additionally, this role is currently eligible to participate in Elastic’s equity plan as well as a range of health & wellbeing, retirement savings, and other benefits within a holistic total rewards offering.
Job Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Strategy and Performance – Working initially with an external management consultant, lead the development of Elastic’s long-term climate strategy. This includes public commitments to relevant standards, development of science-based targets, and implementation plans and timelines. Work across a diverse group of partners (including Investor Relations, Legal, Finance, Workplace, HR, and Elastic Cares) to support programs and priorities around material ESG issues for Elastic.
- Measurement, Evaluation and Reporting – Apply relevant standards and frameworks (e.g. SASB, SDGs) to Elastic’s ESG and environmental sustainability efforts. Use data, benchmarks and insights from evolving ESG standards to evaluate Elastic’s performance. Own reporting and tracking for environmental sustainability and ESG metrics across Elastic. Be responsible for annual disclosures of Elastic’s own ESG and Sustainability reporting. Partner with Investor Relations, Sales and Finance teams to gather and verify data for investor, customer and other external requests.
- Operations and Cross-Functional Management – Lead Elastic’s cross-functional ESG steering committee and working groups; develop annual cadence for reporting and disclosures; partner with Finance to lead near- and long-term financial planning for Sustainability programs; effectively develop teams of outside partners, consultants and vendors toward outcomes and results.
- Communications – In partnership with Communications and Marketing teams, develop the overall narrative for Elastic’s Sustainability efforts; represent Elastic externally with relevant industry coalitions and internally to Elastic employees and executives
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in ESG, environmental sustainability, corporate social responsibility or related fields
- Bachelors’ degree required, MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Depth of knowledge on corporate sustainability, climate change, ESG topics and current trends
- Ownership over the creation of ESG or sustainability reports and/or proven ability to evaluate corporate performance using such reports
- Prior corporate experience required; experience or expertise with high-growth technology companies preferred
- Outstanding cross-functional partnership skills; ability to bring people together around a common goal and lead by influence
- Highly skilled in data analysis and building thoughtful and efficient cross-functional processes
- Strong written and presentation skills for high-visibility storytelling, both internally and externally
- Adept at synthesizing sophisticated inputs from multiple collaborators
- A passion for partner capitalism and a strong desire to evolve the relationship between business and society
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
We welcome individuals with disabilities and strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all individuals. To request an accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email [email protected] We will reply to your request within 24 business hours of submission.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.