Distribution Design Manager Job
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Information not provided
40 hours per week
This position provides supervision and leadership while directing design activities for the gas and/or electric distribution system by dispersed groups of Designers to ensure customer expectations for service are met. Accountable for innovative and cost effective designs, technical matter expertise, and in-depth technical support services to construction and operations teams for gas and/or electric distribution systems. Responsible for balancing customer needs while maintaining Xcel Delivery standards and administrative guidelines (electric and gas where applicable), and to ensure consistent and accurate use of design and work management tools and processes.
- Provides leadership and overall direction for distribution design activities which may include planning and budgeting related to distribution capital projects and support of construction and operations departments. Manages highly skilled technical groups with responsibility for adherence to corporate design and quality standards.
- Develops leadership, selects and retains a multi-functional, diversified, well-trained, motivated and empowered workforce. Promotes employee involvement in continuous learning, career planning and enhancing job/industry knowledge and skills.
- Responsible for effective, efficient and competitive utilization of design resources, with emphasis on safety, timeliness, cost-containment, system reliability, customer satisfaction, optimal asset utilization and compliance with regulations.
- Establishes the Unit's business plan, goals and objectives in line with corporate and business unit strategic goals and initiatives. Provide feedback and direction to employees utilizing the Corporate Management System to ensure that business unit goals
- Actively participate in formal company efforts to streamline processes, maintain and improve safety goals, meet customer expectations, and reduce costs. Informally, work within group to determine and implement best practices. Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with other business units and departments to ensure staff and customers receive information that is current, accurate and meets their expectations. 13
- Provide mentoring and training to new hires, and existing designers, using the established Skill Based programs and other training resources.
- Share responsibility for after hours 'On-Call' duty. Assist in storm restoration efforts by troubleshooting and prioritizing outages, mobilizing design resources into the field for crew assistance and visual inspections and ensure public safety.
- Assist in jurisdictional or operating area functions as needed
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (6 years experience in electric and/or gas distribution design; preferrable from design, engineering, construction, or operations may substitute for the degree)
- 3 years of electric and/or gas distribution experience