Electric Vehicle Program Associate
The mission of Great Plains Institute (GPI) is to transform the energy system to benefit the economy and the environment. Increased demand for GPI’s unique blend of energy expertise and consensus-derived solutions has driven rapid organizational and programmatic growth. GPI’s annual revenue has tripled in 6 years to nearly $8.3 million. GPI’s operations are national in scope (see map), yet the organization retains a core competency in the midcontinent. GPI is powered by more than 30 professionals in Illinois, Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, and Washington, DC and is supported by some of the nation’s most respected philanthropies. Please visit www.betterenergy.com to learn more.
Salary range: $43K-$50K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health plan, 401(k) retirement plan, LTD, STD, life, vision, dental, FSA/HSA, paid time off, and a communication stipend.
40 hours per week; typically M-F 9 am to 5 pm
1. (35%) Meeting & Facilitation Support: GPI convenes many stakeholder groups for its electric vehicle work including Drive Electric Minnesota, Midcontinent Transportation Electrification Collaborative, Powering Ahead through Vehicle Electrification, and others. The Associate will provide support at these meetings through the following activities: a. Assist with developing meeting agendas b. Attend meetings and provide content expertise as needed c. Record meeting notes and provide meeting summaries to staff and stakeholders d. Conduct follow-up research on key questions raised by stakeholders as needed e. Develop skills in meeting facilitation to serve as backup to lead facilitators f. Help lead small group discussions at stakeholder events
2. (25%) Research & Writing: The Associate will conduct research to stay apprised of policy issues, regulatory proceedings, and market trends relevant to GPI's electric vehicle work. Additionally, the Associate will aid in the development of research reports, white papers, blog posts, and other content as needed.
3. (20%) Policy Advocacy: The Associate will support GPI’s electric vehicle policy advocacy efforts through the following activities: a. Conduct background research and prepare briefing materials on key issues related to transportation electrification. b. Attend legislative committee hearings at the request of the Transportation & Fuels Program Manager, Vice President, and/or contract lobbyist. c. Attend Public Utilities Commission meetings at the request of the Transportation & Fuels or Electricity Program Managers and prepare meeting summaries as appropriate.
4. (15%) Outreach & Education: The Associate will support outreach and education activities focused on electric vehicles, attending and speaking at events, webinars, conferences, and others as appropriate.
5. (5%) Fundraising: The Associate will contribute to preparing narrative for grant and contract proposals and reports.
6. Other programmatic assistance: As requested by the Vice President, Program Manager, or MetroCERT Director.
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Able to consume, synthesize, and share information from many sources, including reports and academic papers
- Ability to work well with people from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of political perspectives—be able to work with people different from yourself and build and maintain a network
- Ability to work for many different people, juggle multiple tasks in an organized way, and take responsibility for following up on assignments without being reminded to ensure that you are effective in your role
- Organized, creative, and detail-oriented with an ability to work independently
- Excellent time and deadline management, project management, and team relationship skills
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the Great Plains Institute Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Experience considering the impacts of the work on multiple communities, including underrepresented communities
- Experience working on a diverse team
- Experience working with different communication styles
Education, training, and other requirements
- 5-7 years of experience in a related field OR a 4-year degree with 1-3 years of experience in a related field
- Knowledge of electric vehicles and/or transportation electrification highly desired
Send your application materials including a resume, writing sample, and one-page cover letter, with the subject line: “EV Program Associate - [your surname]” to email@example.com. A single PDF of all materials is preferred. Deadline for application is 5 PM Central Time, September 21, 2020.