Energy Code Technical Consultant
CEE is a community-based clean energy nonprofit with offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis and St. Paul's Midway. We provide practical energy solutions for homes, businesses, and communities to cut energy waste and harmful emissions. In 2023, CEE worked with the state of Minnesota and industry stakeholders to fund and launch the Minnesota Advanced Energy Codes Collaborative, to help achieve the state’s ambitious targets for a net zero commercial energy code, with high compliance. This effort is closely aligned with our Efficient Technology Accelerator, which aims to advance energy and emissions-reducing technologies quicker into the market and make them standard practice, and ultimately part of the energy code. We collaborate regularly with field peers and partners and employ curious people who enjoy learning. Our workplace invites open door communications, respect for diverse backgrounds and points of view, and an emphasis on work-life balance. This is a Minnesota-based position.
Full-time position with benefits. Salary depending on qualifications and experience.
The Energy Code Technical Consultant will be part of a new team at CEE that will help achieve the state’s goal for a net zero commercial energy code by 2036, with high compliance rates. This position will focus on increasing compliance with advanced energy codes by conducting trainings and providing technical support for energy code professionals. In addition, the Technical Consultant will help support the energy code development and advancement process including the development of strengthening amendments to the model code. The ideal candidate will have exceptional communication skills, experience building relationships with key stakeholders, and expertise in energy codes and the new construction industry.
- Implement energy code training virtually and across the state for a variety of stakeholders, with support from CEE staff and expert consultants
- Help develop energy code training curriculum, in conjunction with CEE staff and expert consultants
- Build relationships with building officials, design professionals and other energy code stakeholders statewide
- Provide technical support for code officials and design teams in a circuit-rider-type role
- Communicate technical details to a variety of stakeholders
- Consult with code advancement team on strengthening measures for code advancement
- Support the design of tools to improve energy code compliance
- Conduct third-party plan review of new commercial construction applications
- Review energy modeling submittals supporting performance path projects
- This is a Minnesota-based position. Some travel within the state of Minnesota is required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience in relevant field required
- Minimum of 5 years of previous experience in the commercial new construction industry or comparable experience in building permitting or related industry
- Experience with the energy code required
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Some HVAC design experience preferred
- Preferred experience conducting and/or reviewing energy modeling used to demonstrate compliance with performance pathways within ASHRAE 90.1 or to demonstrate compliance with above code programs and certifications
- Demonstrated ability to learn and understand technical details within a given field
- Demonstrated experience developing tools and resources and/or delivering presentations
- Experience administering trainings preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of teams and external partners
- Desire to work for a mission-driven organization and play a role in addressing climate change
Experience with Energy code
5 years: Experience in Commercial new industry
HVAC design experience
- Ability to work in fast-paced, outcome-driven environment with responsibilities to meet deadlines and program
Apply online by visiting us on our website!