Clean Energy Job Board
Energy Efficiency Engineer
Michaels Energy is a veteran-owned energy consulting firm that exists to help businesses minimize waste and maximize value. Our energy and engineering gurus are obsessed with optimizing buildings and processes to maximize energy savings and profits, minimize utility grid stress and carbon footprints, and keep this big, beautiful planet in tip-top shape. Our passion is developing long-term client relationships with energy users, utilities, consultants, and partners. This passion combined with our core values of proactive and responsive service, intuitive analysis, collaborative partnerships, and fanatical execution, forms the foundation of our corporate culture.
$81,000 - $105,000 pay based on experience
Monday - Friday business hours w/flexibilty
What is the role?
Michaels Energy is seeking an energy engineer with retro-commissioning experience and excellent communication skills to deliver technical support for utility energy efficiency programs in Minnesota. This position will perform energy studies for medium and large commercial and industrial buildings.
Technical tasks include building investigations to identify energy-saving measures, project costing, and calculating energy savings and ROI. Client and customer communication is critical in this role. Types of communication include meetings, presentations, and non-technical and technical writing. We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about energy efficiency and removing barriers for the customer that will result in the implementation of energy efficiency projects.
- Develops data collection plans before customer visit
- Gathers energy usage data while at customer site, which includes visual inspection, customer/operator interviews, building plans and documents, automation system trend data, photos, spot measurements and data logging
- Verifies successful measure implementation upon project completion
Facility Mechanical and Automation System Analysis
- Communicates with clients, end-users, vendors, and trade allies to gather information required for project completion
- Documents the project findings, including baseline conditions, energy savings recommendations, and other important details related to the project
- Analyzes data and develops appropriate engineering models to accurately model the equipment or system under study
- Performs energy savings calculations using a pre-built template and occasionally, custom approaches
- Prepares technical report that describes the mechanical systems under consideration, their operating characteristics, deficiencies, and proposed modifications in an easy-to-read format
- Uses knowledge of energy consumption and systems to identify and quantify efficiency potential in buildings
- Trains automation contractors on efficiency program process
How can you contribute?
After 3 months, you have…..
- Learned company processes and procedures
- Completed at least one customer site visit independently
- Finished at least one energy analysis and study report
After 6 months, you have…
- A thorough understanding the efficiency program’s design and guidelines
- Led study report out meetings with the customer
- Completed at least five energy study reports
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in mechanical, chemical, or building systems engineering
- Two to six years’ experience with a combination of engineering, HVAC controls, energy efficiency, energy auditing, customer/client interactions, and project management
- Experience with mulitple building automation system platforms
- Thrives on meeting people, building relationships, and customer satisfaction
- Passion for energy conservation
- Ability to travel regionally to up 30% for customer site visits and occasional travel to the corporate office
- Professional Engineer (P.E.)
Where can you work?
Must be located in Minnesota. A preferred location is the Minneapolis area. You will have the option to work in the office, work from home, or hybrid.
Apply directly on the website - www.michaelsenergy.com.