At Solar United Neighbors, we envision a clean, equitable energy system that directs control and benefits back to local communities, with solar energy on every roof and money in every pocket. We are the only organization in the country dedicated to representing the needs and interests of solar owners and supports. Although we currently operate on the ground in 12 states (AZ, CO, DC, FL, IN, MD, MN, OH, PA, TX, VA, WV) we are expanding to new states every year. Each state program promotes solar throughout its jurisdiction through education, events, volunteer opportunities, advocacy, and helping people go solar.
This position is 40 hours a week and Solar United Neighbors offers a flexible work hours. As an Engagement Specialist, you'll be supporting field staff with programming therefore, occasional weekend and evening availability is required.
We are looking for an Engagement Specialist to provide integral support to our state programs and program directors by coordinating local engagement activities. Engagement at Solar United Neighbors includes volunteer opportunities, solar open houses, solar celebrations, national solar events, and more. You’ll report to the Director of Engagement and, along with another Engagement Specialist, collaborate with many different staff members, work on new engagement program initiatives, and serve as the primary engagement program point of contact for the program directors and field staff of your group of states.
Who are you?
You have the ability to work independently while collaborating across an organization. You are self-motivated, excited to take on tasks, and are willing to innovate rather than stick to the status quo. You have no problem testing out ideas, learning from mistakes, and moving forward with what works. You’re willing to roll up your sleeves and get the job done — whether that means mailing t-shirts, planning a co-op celebration, or figuring out new ways to recognize stellar volunteers.
Here’s what the day to day looks like:
- You’ll attend virtual biweekly state check in meetings with state teams and actively support the coordination and implementation of local engagement programming; driving progress toward each state program’s engagement goals.
- You’ll work with state-based field staff to identify, coordinate, and implement opportunities for volunteer opportunities and engagement events to support the growth of local solar co-ops and state networks, expand the capacity of state-based field staff members, and deepen relationships with solar supporters.
- You’ll coordinate all one-off state-based engagement activities, events, and opportunities, including solar celebrations, social events, volunteer opportunities (including tabling, flyering, canvassing, digital outreach, and more), advocacy events, solar open houses, and other engagement activities. In addition, you’ll support national events including the National Solar Tour.
- You’ll manage regular email communication with all state volunteer lists about upcoming opportunities through our Campaign Monitor database and email platform, as well as coordinate with individual volunteers about specific opportunities. You’ll create event RSVP pages, Facebook events, flyers, and other collateral needed for events, including printing and mailing resources to volunteers and state members as needed.
- You’ll ensure up-to-date tracking of all volunteer activities and event attendance in our Salesforce and Campaign Monitor database.
- You’ll create success stories highlighting volunteers and solar homeowners in each state for web content; creating opportunities to feature these solar stories and appreciate our volunteers.
To be successful in this position:
- You have an interest in solar energy and 2-4 years of experience working in program coordination, event planning, managing volunteers, working on campaigns, community or environmental organizing, canvassing, or direct outreach.
- You’re an efficient multitasker who loves organization and is able to work in many different short- and long-term projects concurrently.
- You thrive in an environment where you can work independently but can work as a part of cross-functional teams.
- You are open to feedback, collaboration, and learning from others.
- Your attention to detail is bar none.
- You’re comfortable using Gmail, Microsoft Office, and online database platforms such as Campaign Monitor, WordPress, or Salesforce.
You’ll report to the Director of Engagement and work closely with your fellow Engagement Specialist. In addition, you’ll collaborate directly with colleagues across the organization including renewable energy leaders, policy wonks, communications experts, and community organizers.
We have nearly 40 staff members working across 12 states (and growing every year). Half of our team is located in the Washington, D.C. area.
We welcome candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of
color, women, LGBTQi, differently abled, and those with non-traditional education.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This is a full-time position. Most of our staff work across the country, so we welcome both local and remote candidates. We highly encourage applicants from our 12 operational states: AZ, CO, DC, FL, IN, MD, MN, OH, PA, TX, VA, WV.
If you’re in the DC area, our offices are located in a bright, sunlit building directly above the Dupont Circle metro station. If you live somewhere else, we have Slack and video conferencing to keep us connected.
The salary range for this position is $35,000-$45,000 depending upon experience. Working for Solar United Neighbors means you’ll receive health insurance, generous leave, professional development, remote work options, flexible work hours, and travel opportunities. With six states (and counting) in your portfolio, you’ll be traveling to support field staff during some regional events
Send your resume and cover letter to Annie Wolf at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the title “Engagement Specialist” in the subject line.