Environmental, Health, Safety (EHS) Specialist
Geronimo Energy, a National Grid company, is a full-service renewable energy development company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in southwest Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, New York, Colorado, Alabama and Michigan. Geronimo Energy provides custom renewable energy solutions for utilities and corporations looking to harness renewable energy for business growth. Geronimo Energy has developed a multi-gigawatt renewable energy portfolio of projects that are either currently under construction or in operation throughout the United States. Geronimo has an open work environment that is flat by design and in function.
Information not provided
40 hours per week
The Environmental, Health, ant Safety (EHS) Specialist will be focused on monitoring, implementing and improving Geronimo’s operations department EHS programs and procedures. The EHS Specialist will be support EHS and Training Program including the training (3rd party and internal) and training content, the qualification program and standards. This position will also monitor, audit and continuously improve each aspect of the program. This position is responsible for supporting the evolution the programs as necessary to comply with changing standards or meet the changing needs of the department. This position will partner with the executive management, plant personnel, construction, and other departments to ensure optimal processes and training are developed and delivered. The EHS Specialist will report to the Director of EHS and Training.
- Maintain and update as necessary the Geronimo operations EHS program, qualification standards, qualification cards and all training content and training delivery systems.
- Support training program for operations personnel and provide training.
- Support organizational compliance with local, state, and federal environment, health, and safety regulations. Ensures that environmental policy and procedure manuals are available and updated at all times.
- Ensures compliance with all environmental, health and safety regulations, and keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization.
- Partner with management, plant personnel, and other stakeholders to develop improvements, processes, procedures, and training across the operations department.
- Assist plants in identifying hazards and demonstrate methods and solutions to mitigate hazards (including ergonomic hazards) during the performance of work activities.
- Audit 3rd party contractor programs and work activities. Work with local emergency response personnel to enhance the relationships and develop emergency drills.
- Provide expertise and leadership to foster a comprehensive safety culture and plant personnel behaviors that prevent incidents, injuries, and illnesses.
- Facilitate and solve EHS challenges that arise on operational plants and construction sites on a day to day basis. This includes working cross-functionally to implement engineering and administrative controls.
- Perform root cause analysis and incident investigation of events as determined.
- Perform periodic SWPPP inspections on renewable assets to ensure they are maintained to local, state, and Federal regulations.
- Degree in engineering or directly applicable experience within the renewable energy industry or EHS.
- 5 years of experience with electrical power generation in renewable, nuclear or fossil fuel plants.
- Experience with OSHA CFR1910, NFPA70E, IEEE and NESC Regulations for Qualified Electrical Workers.
- Working knowledge of EPA, OSHA and other applicable industry EHS standards.
- Superior writing and presentation skills for development of training programs, technical documentation, procedures, and upwards reporting.
- Possess strong project management experience and skills.
- Ability to solve problems dealing with multiple variables and limited standardization.
- Ability to travel up to 80%, with some on short notice.
- Additionally, weight must not exceed 285 lbs excluding equipment/gear worn when performing job related tasks.
- Ability to climb towers up to 300’ high.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience in wind and solar plant operations and maintenance.
- Experience in high voltage maintenance and switching.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish effective working relationships and articulate issues and subject matter to process owners while being a team player.
- Strong ability to review and analyze financial and technical data.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong writing skills
- Achievement driven
- Able to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Pursuit of personal growth
- Ability to work as part of a team Experience managing with wind, solar or other renewable facilities