Field Services GIS Specialist
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is a leading national land and renewable energy development consultant and is seeking a GIS Specialist to join our team in our Minnetonka office for our Field Services Division. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2018, Westwood received Zweig Group’s Best Firms to Work For and Marketing Excellence awards, ranked on industry top 25 lists, and received recognition for its involvement on award-winning projects nationwide.
This position will provide project level GIS support to Westwood’s diverse energy clientele throughout the country. The position will work within a skilled team of professionals compiling data and implementing GIS-based solutions to support Westwood’s engineering and field services.
Data Management is the dominant portion of the job duties envisioned for this position, but will be balanced with a variety of field data collection, technology support, spatial analysis, and cartography. Your role will be to work with energy projects, such as transmission, solar, and wind, to assist in all aspects of planning and construction information for preliminary route assessments, assist with infrastructure planning to minimize environmental issues, process field data and assemble as-built information. In addition to supporting office based GIS workload, travel to project sites is required to support field service projects utilizing field GIS solutions. Field service projects include pile load testing, subsurface utility discovery, and other related construction support services. We work in shapefile, geodatabase, and enterprise environments for various projects. Data coordination with other software applications is also a significant portion of daily job duties. This requires working across geospatial platforms including Esri ArcGIS products (web and desktop), AutoCAD Civil 3D, Google Earth, and Global Mapper.
Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
What you will do:
- Develop and maintain geospatial data on desktop and mobile applications. Ensure data meets appropriate data accuracy and content standards for quality assurance and quality control.
- Create customized client facing Operations Dashboards and configurable web applications to allow for real time project monitoring.
- Provide independent data interpretation while effectively maintaining data documentation.
- Travel to wind and solar project sites across the United States using ESRI mobile applications to collect project related data. Travel expenses will be covered.
- Create and modify GIS datasets; manage and maintain legacy GIS datasets; develop and implement GIS-based analyses supporting engineering and survey projects.
- Produce technically skilled and detailed solutions to include preparing clear, complete, and accurate representations of spatial data using hardcopy and/or electronic media.
- Core responsibility includes processing data and graphics requests from project team members and anticipating information needs and presentation format as part of engineering and survey workflows.
- You will work on energy projects, such as transmission, solar and windto compile available information for project proposals.
- Must be pursuing or have a degree in GIS, geography, environmental studies or related field with demonstrated capabilities in GIS.
- Hands-on knowledge of Esri ArcGIS software, including ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, ESRI Mobile Applications (Collector, Survey123, and Explorer), and ArcMap.
- Strong understanding of geodatabases applications and geodatabase functions, especially domains and relates.
- Ability to work with vector and raster datasets, including drone images and large aerials.
- Experience using ArcGIS Online or another web mapping system.
- Ability to use and edit shapefiles and geodatabases (personal, file, and enterprise).
- Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datum’s.
- Familiarity with standard cartographic methods, theories and principles.
- Strong attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Ability to independently manage multiple assignments, determine and set job task priorities and work with limited direct supervision.
- Willingness to work onsite in variable weather conditions as needed. Travel to project sites may be 25-50% annually.
Preferred but not required:
- Previous work in/familiarity with consulting engineers and/or surveyors.
- Experience using AutoCAD and DWG files
- Familiar with GPS data collection and data management.
- Familiar with LiDAR datasets and usage
- Experience using Python, ModelBuilder or another common GIS scripting language is desirable, as job duties will include creating scripts to streamline frequently performed tasks.
- Experience using Google Earth and KMZ files.