Geotechnical Graduate Engineer
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Geotechnical Graduate Engineer to join our team in our Minneapolis, MN office. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients. For this position, we are seeking two candidates who are able to start January and/or May. The successful job applicant will be part of a dynamic geotechnical engineering team and will assist senior geotechnical staff with project work involving various aspects of geotechnical engineering related to renewable energy and other power-related projects. Work elements may involve some or all the following: geotechnical investigation field work and in-situ testing, laboratory testing coordination, geotechnical analysis and design, report preparation, Civil3D drafting, and construction monitoring/observation. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Information not provided
- Participate in geotechnical site investigations, assignment and assessment of geotechnical laboratory tests, preparation of investigation reports, and application of site data to analyses and design.
- Interpret and analyze geotechnical data to establish type, classification and engineering characteristics of materials. Complete or assist with geotechnical engineering analyses including, but not limited to, seepage, slope stability, bearing capacity, rotational stiffness, liquefaction, and settlement analyses.
- Keep management advised of work status, workload, problems and progress as related to work assignments.
- Participate in preparation of proposals, bid documents and capital cost estimates, construction drawings and design reports.
- Assist in the preparation of civil layout using computer-based modeling software.
- Enrolled in a B.S. or M.S. program in geotechnical engineering, civil engineering, or geological engineering. Related work experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of geotechnical engineering fundamentals, geotechnical testing, and general civil/geotechnical engineering design and construction practices.
- Strong technical, communication and interpersonal skills and works best in a fast-paced environment. Along with detailed documentation focus and sound technical writing skills.
- Flexibility to travel/work in the field for extended periods and have the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and various terrains associated with construction projects.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and check the quality of own work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing in English.
- Ability to use sound judgment.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively, which includes planning, organizing and prioritizing with attention to details.
- Proficiency in MS Office, familiarity with slope stability software (GeoStudio), pile design software (LPile), and other geotechnical software a plus. Knowledge of Auto CAD Civil3D would also be an asset.