Invest in Our Future is a national philanthropic effort to build a clean energy economy that generates real benefits for communities across the country — from creating good union jobs and revitalizing local economies to reducing pollution and lowering energy bills. We are hiring roles on our program and operations teams.
IOF seeks an energetic and proactive Grants Associate to elevate and expand IOF’s grantmaking capacity. They will provide administrative support throughout the entire grant life cycle from proposal intake to contracting, reporting, and close-out. They will contribute to continuous improvement activities to strengthen internal grantmaking policies and procedures to align with best practices and emerging trends. They will support efforts to configure the grants management database to increase collaboration, efficiency, and transparency. The Associate will report to the Grants Manager and work under their general supervision.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of grants management practices and processes and familiarity with relevant IRS rules and regulations. They will demonstrate a strong sense of collaboration and initiative while providing independent judgment. They will be comfortable in a start-up work environment and be well organized, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, prioritize, and learn quickly. They will be committed to good data management and data governance practices. They will bring an attitude of positivity and commitment to IOF’s mission and values, its grantees, partners, and funders.
$79,977 to $101,342. This represents the present low and high end of the pay range for this position. Actual pay will vary based on various factors, including but not limited to experience.
- Collect and enter grantee organization, contacts, and funding request details into Salesforce
- Upload all necessary proposal documents into database
- Confirm qualifying tax status of grantees
- Verify there is no conflict of interest for staff or Management Committee
- Conduct initial review and due diligence of Salesforce record and proposal documents to ensure compliance, consistency, and accuracy
- Communicate regularly with RFCC Grants and Contracts, Legal, and Finance to troubleshoot issues that may arise in the grantmaking process
- Schedule payments and reporting requirements
- Monitor and ensure timely receipt of grantee reports and other deliverables, sending reminders as needed
- Execute and process grant amendments and extensions
- Assist with docket preparation for approval of funding requests
Policies and Procedures
- Contribute to enhancing and improving grantmaking practices
- Create library of grantmaking resources and templates
- Develop and maintain grantmaking manual
- Ensure that IOF adheres to legal requirements and best practices in the field
- Assist with addressing sensitive issues in the grantmaking process
Systems and Information Management
- Provide thought partnership for Salesforce technical enhancements
- Take lead in data entry and ensure integrity of data in Salesforce
- Produce detailed reports tracking including grant activity reports, payout reports, and other reports as needed by staff, Management Committee, and RFCC
- Maintain well-organized and easily accessible electronic grant files in Box and Salesforce for all stakeholders
- Review and close out grants, ensuring all grant records are properly archived
Orientation and Training
- Orient and train new staff on grantmaking workflow and practices
- Provide ongoing training and technical assistance to staff to optimize Salesforce usage
- Implement grants management projects
- Work together with colleague on cross-departmental projects
- Participate in the PEAK Grantmaking and other peer learning opportunities to stay current on innovative approaches and best practices in grants management
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of grants administration processes and familiarity with IRS rules and regulations preferred but not required
- Demonstrated interest in and aptitude for understanding relational databases; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Proficiency in using tools in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace
- Strong organizational abilities, with close attention to detail and precision
- Customer service orientation, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work well independently and with a team
- Excellent time management skills, results-oriented, and able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines concurrently
- Ability to discern sensitive matters and handle them with discretion and diplomacy
- Professional demeanor, dependability, integrity, good judgment, and sense of humor
- Anticipates and balances the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Recognizes the value of different perspectives and commits to inclusion, equity, and diversity in every aspect of work.