Head of Renewable Origination & Purchased Power
Are you ready to take your leadership potential to the next level with a growing Fortune 500 company? Xcel Energy is at the leading edge of an industry that is changing quickly. We’re seeking dynamic, proven leaders to help guide us into this exciting energy future. If you’re looking to lead at a company that is committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship, with plenty of room to grow, consider a position at Xcel Energy.
Depends on qualifications
40 hours per week
Lead the management, negotiation, restructuring, acquisition, and on-going operation of long-term purchased power contracts. Responsible for leading, managing, and building relationships with manufacturers, developers, individual power producers and other key external stakeholders. Work closely with Corporate Development, Resource Planning and the Operating Companies to develop commercial strategies to align with the Company's long term renewable energy goals.
- Manage the development, financial, and operation risks of long-term power contracts through contract provisions and negotiation to ensure that company receives maximum value. Provide leadership and set direction in model power contract development and implementation. Manage due diligence efforts including engineering, technical, and financial aspects of potential new power suppliers. Direct the negotiation, administration, regulatory, and other issues associated with long-term power purchase agreements and related financial agreements between Company and power suppliers. Responsible for accurate invoicing, payment, recording, and reporting of amounts paid for purchased power.
- Partner closely with Corporate Development, Resource Planning, and the Operating Companies to develop commercial strategies to ensure the Company is positioned to execute on its long-term carbon reduction goals. Lead the assessment of market trends, leverage understanding of renewable energy development processes, and partner with the finance team to perform financial analyses to drive the renewable energy procurement strategy.
- Create new and strengthen key existing relationships with external parties including equipment manufacturers, developers, individual power producers, and utilities.
- Understand federal and state regulatory requirements and ensure that the regulatory requirements for new and existing contracts are met as well as ensuring compliance with regional legislative mandates. Act as a technical resource for staff. Prepare and deliver testimony in support of regulatory filings.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and development to staff.
- Degree in engineering or finance
- MBA preferred
- Minimum 10 years related experience in origination and/or business development roles with demonstrated experience with utility-scale renewable energy procurement and transactions.
- Knowledge of energy markets, with emphasis on renewable energy.
- Includes familiarity with technical matters, financial structures, legislative/regulatory policy and issues, and renewable energy generation technologies including wind and solar.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.