Heavy Lift Specialist-Wapsi
EDF Renewables North America, a subsidiary of EDF Renewables, is a leading North American independent power producer boasting over 30 years of experience across a broad spectrum of services. Our mission is turning innovative renewable energy ideas and long-term relationships into an ethical, high value sustainable business.
85% of the time is in the field with the other 15% doing scheduled training, paperwork, and meetings. An undefined amount of the field work will be performed at EDF contracted locations which will require travel. This position must be capable of working independently but is generally working with and training other technicians. They are provided a company vehicle for official company use only (service truck), during their assigned shift in which they carry the required tools to perform repairs and/or maintenance. This position may work in extreme weather conditions.
Scope of Job: Under the direction of the Heavy Lift & Support Services Senior Manager and/or site manager, is responsible for the performance of specialized up tower major components maintenance services. Perform all duties of a Senior Technician and guides field technicians through specialized tasks associated with renewable energy assets. Execute project deliverables as well as the continued development of all processes that improve safety & quality.
45% Perform specialized services and guide field personnel
- Oversee the safe operation of EDF and contractor employees during the removal & replacement (R&R) of major components, and large corrective in-situ repairs of renewable energy assets.
- Provide detailed scope of work (SOW) documents including weights, heights, and component specific information.
- Review and approval of lift plans, including staff qualifications provided by Crane Company’s and vendors performing work.
- Work independently from time to time while performing all aspects of large correctives repairs and R&R of major components.
- Evaluate major components failures and trends, working with PRE and the AO team to develop proactive solutions
- Assist and train EDF crews with crane calling and rigging procedures & qualifications.
- Take a lead role in projects requiring special skills, by acquiring and maintaining skills in certain areas:
- R&R of major components.
- In-situ repair of major components.
- Development of tooling and fixtures to perform large correctives repairs.
- Develop, write, and train work procedures and control instructions for heavy lift operations with the assistance of PDS Technical writer.
- Travel to other sites to support Site managers as needed.
35% Process Standardization & Continuous Improvement
- Responsible for quality control during the removal & replacement (R&R) of major components, and large corrective in-situ repairs.
- Provide high quality workmanship with the goal of increasing safety, performance, and efficiency.
- Responsible for driving & sharing lessons learned within EDF while leading a continuous improvement approach toward the business.
15% Relationship Management of internal & external stakeholders
- Work with site managers to develop EDF Renewable Services’ processes which meet contractual obligations.
- Responsible for the adherence to the approved project budgets.
- Provide input for the development of P&L and OPEX Performa Models for internal use.
- Support Asset Optimization management during the evaluation of EDF Renewable Services’ ability in meeting both industry standards & customer expectations.
- Deploy actions and corrections as provided by the Asset Optimization Senior Directors.
Qualifications: (Degree/Certifications/License/Experience/Specialized Knowledge/Skills)
Typically requires Senior technician qualifications and a minimum of three years of technical experience in the renewable energy industry, qualified crane caller preferred.
Requires knowledge of
- Ability to comply with EDF Renewable’s Safety & Quality policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including basic functional knowledge of MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to read & comprehend schematic drawings.
- Ability to work at heights, including climbing up and descending towers of various heights.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with and provide hands-on training to other technicians.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions, including cold, rain, wind, etc.
- Mechanical, electrical, and controls aptitude as expressed by prior performance of some of the responsibilities described above.
- Able to provide proof of a current driver’s license and clean driving record, to operate company vehicles (field trucks) both on site as well as on public roads and highways.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand, walk and use his/her hands. The position will require travel, so the employee in this position must be able to successfully accommodate air and ground travel.