Clean Energy Job Board
Manager, Power Supply and Business Development
Based in Ramsey, Connexus Energy is Minnesota’s largest electric distribution cooperative, providing electricity, renewable energy alternatives and related services to residential and commercial members just north of the Twin Cities. We are operationally excellent, with strong fiscal discipline, and a recognized regional leader innovating and navigating the energy transition. Our talented and friendly staff focus on providing cost-competitive, reliable, and clean electricity, and responsive member service. Our collaborative work environment and being a player on our leadership team makes for challenging and rewarding work. We challenge the status quo wherever we see opportunities. This role provides for professional development and work-life balance in a highly technical, stable and innovative industry. We give back to the communities we serve by embracing opportunities to volunteer, donate, and support economic development.
This position offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefits package including medical, dental, life, disability insurance, 401(k), and tuition reimbursement.
40 hours per week
As Manager of Power Supply and Business Development, you will provide significant strategic influence on the cooperative’s power supply and support relationships with power and transmission suppliers. This role leads the development team which includes research and product, service or venture development of core related initiatives that benefit members.
- Power Supply & Transmission – Key leader in providing members with reliable cost competitive power supply and transmission services compliant with MISO market requirements for load serving entities (LSE), federal and state mandates.
- Power Supply – Assists with the power supply strategy development. Develops relationships and a portfolio approach to providing power supply for Connexus members. Relationships may include G&T’s, other utility suppliers, power marketers and developers.
- Asset Development – Develop asset based and contractual energy and capacity resources including renewables and energy storage that may be located across the grid; bulk system, distribution grid, or behind the meter (BTM).
- Transmission – Develops relationships with GRE transmission leadership staff to assure Connexus is receiving excellent support from the bulk transmission system serving our substations and facilitating cost efficiency of our power supply.
- Business Development, Products & Services – Key leader for business development, including both strategic initiatives and operational capabilities including Demand Management. Works collaboratively with Sales and Marketing in the developing the strategy and evolution for products and services offered to Connexus members.
- Product Development – Evaluate potential new products and services, to include market research, pilots and financial assessment through staged development and evaluation processes. Collaborate across the organization to facilitate a corporate competency of innovation and product development.
- Strategic Intelligence (data analytics) – Provide leadership in developing strategic intelligence from mass member data and related information. Support division and organization wide data analytic opportunities.
- Demand Management – Manage and optimize our demand response programs including oversight of the Distribution System Operations (DSO) team. Develop tools to create a long run win-win results, benefiting participating members, while lowering overall power costs to the membership.
- Staff Leadership & Development – Leads the Power Supply & Business Development team. As a leadership team member, collaborates and acts to effect cooperative strategies, performance objectives, and policies. Exhibits leadership and sets the example with respect to corporate values.
- Team – manage day-to-day activities and continually develop staff’s knowledge and expertise to monetize the opportunities within the flexibility of the power supply contract.
Required Talents, Skills, Expertise, Education:
- BS in Engineering, Economics, Business Administration or related field
- 5 or more years’ experience in the energy utility sector.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- business development
- regulatory policy analysis
- power generation (including renewable and distributed resources)
- power marketing
- risk management
- MISO market transactional
- transmission rights and energy services
- Ability to initiate and lead major projects involving internal and external customers.
- Business negotiation, key business and contractual term development
- Effective and persuasive public speaking and presentation skills
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of electric utility operations and regulations.
- Strong understanding of the electrical value chain elements; generation, transmission, distribution, ISO
- Use of financial proforma, forecasting, related business analysis tools
- Application of enterprise risk assessment, scenarios, and statistical analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Current and valid driver’s license
Preferred Talents, Skills, Expertise, Education:
- 3 years supervisory/leadership experience
- MISO market knowledge and experience