Clean Energy Job Board
Minnesota Program Director
Solar United Neighbors of Minnesota, established in 2017, is dedicated to helping Minnesota homeowners go solar, join together, and fight for their distributed energy rights. Solar United Neighbors of Minnesota ensures that every Minnesota resident has equal access to solar education, competitive pricing for solar and other distributed energy technologies, and the opportunity to participate in the state’s energy transformation. Solar United Neighbors is dedicated to the vision that if a large and diverse number of people have a financial stake in the clean energy economy, they will fight for it. By building, demonstrating, promoting, and advocating for ways for people to financially benefit from clean energy, we build a broad new constituency for change.
40 hours a week
The Minnesota Program Director will implement our solar deployment work (in particular, solar co-ops) across the state, and will and conduct extensive on-the-ground communications, engagement, and policy projects (in collaboration with our D.C.-based cross-cutting support staff) designed to help real Minnesota residents invest in and shape the state’s clean energy future. As an organization, we believe in a distributed model of leadership and work to train and empower local leaders, with the Minnesota Program Director supporting these efforts.
Job responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement at solar co-ops in communities across the state working to ensure solar access for all residents.
- Provide technical assistance to residents and organizations interested in going solar.
- Work with Solar United Neighbors cross-cutting staff to organize on-the-ground events programming (towards educational and community-building ends) to build a state-wide network of solar supporters.
- Closely follow and contribute to emerging distributed energy policy initiatives and market opportunities in the state, including (but not limited to) net metering and solar compensation policy, utility-led attacks on distributed solar, residential storage applications, electric vehicle adoption and charging infrastructure policy, and solar policy.
- Work with Solar United Neighbors’ advocacy team to translate above policy work into strategic calls to action for our state network members.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with community partners and stakeholders across the state, with an eye towards building a strong, diverse coalition of solar-supporting groups, institutions, organizations, and individuals.
- Develop and engage a citizen-led advisory board for Solar United Neighbors of Minnesota programming.
- Represent Solar United Neighbors of Minnesota at wide variety of stakeholder meetings and community engagement opportunities across the state (and activate our state network to do so in tandem).
- Collaborate with Solar United Neighbors’ engagement staff to design and implement a volunteer engagement program for Solar United Neighbors of Minnesota.
- Support ongoing fundraising and donor engagement efforts.
- Maintain online web infrastructure for the Minnesota section of our website to include in-depth information on solar and other distributed energy technologies, authoring timely content on solar-related topics happening in the state, as well as serve as an invaluable resource for citizen engagement.
- Strategically follow and document trends in the Minnesota residential solar market, to be shared with fellow staff and our larger Minnesota network.
- Additional initiatives and tasks as assigned.
- At least five years of work experience, a strong understanding of effective organizing techniques, an ability to develop relationships with community members and organizations, and a strong motivation to help grow this program. While not required, experience in solar is a plus.
- Strong writing and verbal presentation skills are essential.
- Interest in working collaboratively in a team environment required.
- Desire to travel extensively across the state to work with all communities in essential.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to Emily Stiever at: [email protected].