Outreach & Engagement Representative (Affordable Solar)
Cooperative Energy Futures (CEF) is a member-owned cooperative business focused on advancing energy democracy through community-controlled renewable energy and energy efficiency. CEF is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and sees unique and diverse perspectives as essential to be able to achieve our mission and live our values. CEF develops and operates community solar gardens, currently with 8 projects across Minnesota offsetting the electricity needs of 700 member households at an immediate net savings to our members. We also have an affordable solar program that works with affordable housing providers and their residents to save them money by switching to solar energy. We have a particular focus on economic and racial justice, working to ensure that all projects are developed using an economic model that is deeply accessible to members regardless of income or credit and including options available at no upfront cost and net monthly savings, as well as prioritizing workforce equity in the solar industry. CEF uses member participation in these projects to build community wealth and activate members from many different communities around a vision for our energy future that is rooted in community-controlled clean energy.
$50,000 - $55,000
This position is primarily responsible for community member engagement and outreach, solar subscription sales, and ongoing member support and communications. This position integrates community outreach, engagement, sales, and customer support roles with a wide range of member communities primarily on engaging community members in our affordable solar program, but also on other clean energy opportunities that may arise.
Develop and support ongoing community outreach partnerships
- Establish and sustain long-term community outreach partnerships with local organizations to support ongoing affordable solar efforts and in new communities to help launch new projects.
- Adapt (and translate if hired for non-English outreach) existing template outreach materials to the needs of target communities and partners.
- Conduct informational community workshops, events, and other outreach activities in partnership with outreach partners to bring more community members into our program.
- Participate in strategic planning for community outreach in specific Minnesota communities alongside other staff and community outreach partners.
Enroll interested subscribers
- Contact individual prospective subscribers in buildings where we will be engaged in projects to answer questions they may have and get them started on the process of subscribing.
- Walk individual prospective subscribers through all steps of the subscription sign-up process, including clear and effective closing of sales and proactive subscriber contact and support.
- Proactive subscriber communication during project development and early operations.
Ongoing Subscriber Support and Member Engagement
- Respond to subscriber questions and support CEF administrative staff in engaging with subscribers as needed.
- Reach out to subscribers during the initial months that their project is operating to answer any questions and at least once annually during the project’s operation.
- Collaborate with other staff to design and invite members to participate in other CEF activities, including other services, public advocacy, outreach for new projects, member events, and new member-led initiatives.
- Other outreach and engagement projects as assigned.
- Volunteer or paid experience with community outreach or community organizing and engaging and working with volunteers and/or partner organizations.
- Personable, outgoing, and able to easily reach and build relationships with new people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Experience or comfort with sign-ups or sales, and able to secure clear commitment from customers.
- Detail-oriented and organized, able to maintain consistent follow-up with a large number of individuals at different stages of the sign-up process.
- Able to learn and consistently use organizational software and subscriber data systems.
- Able to retain complex and detailed information about subscriptions and solar projects and to communicate clearly and understandably based on prospective subscriber needs.
- Must be a reliable, self-motivated individual who can take direction and be trusted to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A team player with strong ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and juggle time-sensitive tasks on deadline.
- Interest/passion for clean energy.
- Commitment to the environment and to working with community-based organizations and culturally diverse communities.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Access to a reliable form of transportation.
- Spanish or Somali language fluency.
- Experience with customer relations, customer communications, and addressing customer concerns and issues.
- Existing relationships with community-based organizations in one or more target communities.
- Familiarity with clean energy outreach.
- Experience volunteering or working on environmental or social justice issues.
- 2 years experience in community outreach, organizing, or sales to individuals.
- Access to vehicle and valid driver’s license.
Submit a Resume and a Written Statement explaining why you are interested in this position to [email protected]. We will send additional follow up questions and interview scheduling to candidates we wish to interview. This position will remain open until filled.