Payroll & A/P Administrator
CEE is a community-based clean energy nonprofit with offices in the North Loop of Minneapolis and St. Paul's Midway. We provide practical energy solutions for homes, businesses, and communities to cut energy waste and harmful emissions. We collaborate regularly with field peers and partners and employ curious people who enjoy learning and contributing to Minnesota's quality of life and economy. Our workplace invites open door communications and respect for diverse backgrounds and points of view, with an emphasis on work-life balance.
Depending upon experience and qualifications, we expect the hiring range for this position to be $26.50-$29.00/hr
The Payroll and A/P Administrator, in consultation with the Human Resources and Accounting teams, is responsible for the accurate and timely administration of employee payroll (currently around 200 employees) and associated tasks and ensuring data integrity in the HRIS. This position reports to the Controller and has no direct reports. As part of the Finance team, this position will also assist with overflow work assigned from accounting and other departments within CEE.
This is a full-time position that provides a wide range of benefits including Paid Time Off (PTO), medical, dental, paid parental leave, life and long-term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
Major Responsibilities (80%):
- Facilitate the accurate and timely compilation, preparation, processing of timesheet and payroll data, and delivery of paychecks and reports, in accordance with state and federal regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure system set-up is correct regarding time collection, earnings, deductions, overtime, taxes, garnishments, and accruals.
- Coordinate with Human Resources on the onboarding process of new employees, making sure that each employee is properly configured for payroll, time tracking, accounting, and employee reimbursement systems.
- Coordinate with HR to properly track LOAs in the payroll system. Ensure payroll is adjusted for paid time off and/or unpaid time. Ensure employee deductions are paid.
- Audit payroll and benefits records to ensure all changes are complete and reflected in payroll.
- Ensure data is transmitted post-payroll to benefits vendors for employee and employer contributions such as HSA, VEBA, and deferred compensation.
- Provide weekly/monthly reports to accounting and other departments as needed.
- Prepare monthly payroll entry to be reviewed by the Controller.
- Coordinate with payroll software to ensure preparation and filing of payroll taxes in a multistate environment. Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll , leave, and unemployment tax regulations.
- Reconcile annual payroll data; produce and distribute W-2s, 1095s, and other regulatory filings.
- Participate in the financial audit and benefit audits annually.
- Reconcile benefits invoices and benefits and taxes accounts (monthly and as-needed) for accuracy and timely billing administration.
- Maintain integrity and accuracy of personnel databases and filing systems, both electronic and physical.
- Perform payroll processing quality assurance reviews and identify training issues and/or problem-prone processes to ensure optimal efficiency and error-free operations; troubleshoot and resolve process issues as needed.
- Stay up-to-date on payroll regulations and industry trends.
- Provide support and maintenance of HRIS and other systems. Become an expert in the HRIS as regards time, payroll, tax, and accruals. Manage system updates by understanding the options provided and determining what to enable or configure for our use.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of employee’s compensation, benefits, and personal information.
- Recommend changes in processes and procedures to facilitate continuous improvement in efficiency, accuracy, and customer service.
Other Responsibilities (20%):
- Monitor the accounting email to take care of all related payroll issues.
- Collaborate with AP department, requesting vendor invoices approvals and processing vendor invoices into Intacct.
- Assist with any other duties assigned as needed or apparent.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in payroll processing (UKG Pro (formerly UltiPro) is preferred).;
- Full understanding of gross-to-net payroll calculation, benefits rules, legal regulations, payroll tax, and compliance obligations.
- Associate's degree in accounting is preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, are required.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills. Highly developed attention to detail.
- Ability to work professionally with co-workers, clients and vendors, perform duties accurately, honestly and timely.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills are essential.
- An orientation toward teamwork.
- Ability to work independently and maintain accuracy during high-volume workload timeframes is required.
- Ability to work overtime as needed or required to meet established deadlines, especially during Audit times.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility to be available during general office hours and other hours as needed, including occasional travel to the St. Paul-Midway office is required.
- Develop and maintain a professional office environment and appearance (factors include: cleanliness, attire, positive attitude).
- Routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets.
- May occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
Apply online by visiting us at https://www.mncee.org/work-with-us!