Plant Technician Wind
Avangrid Renewables is at the forefront of transforming the way the U.S. produces and uses energy. Strongly positioned to develop, build, and operate the clean energy infrastructure of the future, Avangrid Renewables is already generating power from nearly 60 renewable energy projects for its utility-scale customers in the United States and helping lead America’s transition to a renewable energy future.
Avangrid Renewables is seeking to fill Wind Plant Tech I & Tech II openings. This position is responsible for the onsite operations, maintenance, repairs and replacement of equipment on a wind powered generation plant, and leads in all areas of plant operations as directed by the Plant Manager.
This position is responsible for the onsite operation, maintenance, repair and replacement of equipment on renewable energy generation plants, and is effective in all areas of plant operations as directed by the Plant Manager or Supervisor.
- Operate and maintain wind turbine and solar equipment along with associated infrastructure including substation, collection and transmission systems.
- Read schematics and proficiently troubleshoot complicated mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic problems with variable pitch, variable speed control systems and components.
- Perform mechanical and electrical component repair or replacement of parts to correct malfunctions following all manufacturers' requirements.
- Comply with all project environmental health and safety programs.
- Perform preventive maintenance in accordance with OEM maintenance manuals.
- Adhere to effective internal controls.
- Perform data collection and prepare reports to meet wind plant reporting requirements.
- Perform various retrofits and design modifications.
- Perform various QA/QC functions, compile and submit supporting documents of items found.
- If applicable, support Construction in the Mechanical and Commissioning walk-downs.
- Increase professional knowledge of turbine or solar equipment, including safety regulations.
- Willing to work overtime on holidays, weekends, and on short notice participating in an on-call schedule.
- Ability and willingness to travel to other sites on short notice.
- Perform duties around low, medium and high voltage.
- Ability to work in extremely adverse weather conditions.
- One year college or technical school certificate; or 12 months of related experience or wind industry training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with maintenance and electronic testing equipment. (i.e. voltage testers, amp clamps, oscilloscopes, megohmmeters, infrared testers, hydraulic torque equipment, alignment and various hand and power tools).
- Advanced computer skills utilizing word processing, spreadsheets, email, facility control, management and reporting systems, including the use of computerized diagnostic and troubleshooting tools.
- Ability to climb towers up to 100 meters on a daily basis to perform maintenance in the nacelle and hub.
- Ability to frequently lift items weighing up to 60 pounds and occasionally lift items up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to work with electrical wires and differentiate between color coded wires.
- Ability to interpret and follow a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Knowledge of heavy equipment required for facility maintenance with a working knowledge of crane and rigging requirements.
- Demonstrated team work, initiative and positive attitude.
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Weight must not exceed 285lbs excluding equipment/gear worn when performing job related tasks.
- Experience in power plant operations and maintenance.
- Experience in wind and solar plant construction, operation and maintenance; including, specific experience in wind turbine and solar power converters and inverters.
- Experience in high voltage switching.
- Directly related experiences gained in fields that require a strong electrical and mechanical aptitude.
- Qualified candidates living in or near the greater local area.
Follow instructions at the link.