Policy Associate, Energy Markets
Are you the type of person who can complete rigorous analysis on complex topics, develop strategy, communicate effectively, and advocate to get results? Do you enjoy engaging, influencing, and working collaboratively with high-level professional stakeholders? Do you want to be challenged at work, have a lot of fun, be inspired frequently, and make a significant impact at an innovative nonprofit working to speed the transition to clean energy? We enthusiastically welcome all candidates to apply. Fresh Energy is committed to fostering diversity in all its forms, including but not limited to race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age and life experience, creed, religion, class, nationality, language, and physical and mental capability.
40 hours per week
Fresh Energy is hiring for a full-time policy associate to advance our Beneficial Electrification program, with a focus on leading work on electric transportation with some overlap on decarbonization strategies in the building sector. We’re looking for someone who is:
- Passionate about clean energy and public policy,
- Motivated to learn and apply new skill sets,
- Eager to embrace and create opportunities,
- Competent at navigating multiple decision-making arenas and inspiring diverse stakeholders,
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to work well in both technical and political settings, and
- Results-oriented, in both a team and individual setting.
A. Policy and Programs: support Fresh Energy’s strategic imperative to electrify fossil fuel-dependent sectors of the economy, with a focus on the transportation sector, coordinating with other staff to track innovations in electrification technology and advance policies to promote strategic electrification in Minnesota, in consultation with and with guidance from relevant program leads.
- Actively participate, and potentially lead, in the planning, execution, and reporting on program work.
- Propose and conduct policy, legislative, legal, technical, regulatory, and financial analysis as related to policy proposals, changes, and approaches.
- Work with Energy Markets team to develop Public Utility Commission strategy, based on your analysis, and execute on that strategy through written and oral advocacy.
- Make written and oral presentations to collaborators, community groups, policy makers, and other stakeholders as part of the program’s outreach and advocacy functions.
- In collaboration with the communications department, create and publish reports, white papers, web content, e-newsletters, and other program information.
B. Participate in culture of collaboration and model our core values.
- In collaboration with the development staff, participate in fund development and relationship building efforts.
- Work effectively in the context of your immediate team, the broader Fresh Energy team, and with external partners; enhance collaboration by maintaining good communication, seeking and respecting diverse viewpoints, engendering trust, fulfilling responsibilities, and ensuring that all team members and their contributions are valued.
- Model behavior and contribute to a culture that is consistent with Fresh Energy’s core values; A critical part of achieving our mission is by living the values we endorse.
C. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus two years of experience in energy, economics, technology, or related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct rigorous research and compile findings into easily digested and compelling formats.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in coalitions of stakeholders across different interests. Leadership within coalitions a plus.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Planful and results-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid computer skills in Windows environment, including MS Office.
- Team player who desires working in an environment where working as a team is valued and practiced.
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends is required.
- Persons in this position frequently lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Master’s Degree in related field, Juris Doctor, or other advanced degree.
- Experience presenting before regulators, policymakers, utilities, and other key stakeholders.
- Experience working with diverse and underrepresented voices.
Email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Marta Cardoza at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Administrative & HR Associate". No phone calls, please.