Clean Energy Job Board
Public Relations Representative
The Minnesota Rural Electric Association (MREA) is the Minnesota Statewide representing the electric cooperatives in the state of Minnesota. We foster unity among and provide service to all of Minnesota’s 50 electric cooperatives.
Guided by the communications strategy, help to build, manage and execute clients media relations program. Research, write, gather and prioritize stories, identify opportunities, and build compelling content and campaigns that garner placements in targeted print and digital publication. Engage clients members through new and existing communication mediums and participate in member forums to promote collaboration and information sharing. In collaboration with other staff, manage clients digital and social media platforms to consistently promote cooperatives across the state. Support public relations & reputation management efforts.
Contributes and implements new ideas to improve and produce reliable and efficient operational processes, prioritizes and manages multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and independently while following through on issues in a timely manner. Promotes clients culture by actively participating in association events and activities, including meetings and projects, and collaborating with other staff to provide back-up and bandwidth support, for special projects or other events as needed.
- Research, develop and write in-depth content for internal and external stakeholders by gaining a thorough understanding of relevant industry issues. Content will include, but not be limited to, newsletter articles, news releases, talking points, white papers and materials designed to inform a diverse group of audiences on the electric cooperatives' position on topics of significance.
- Contribute to story-sharing as a means of impacting public/media relations. Enhance existing internal communication mediums and identify new ways to connect, inform and promote client and its members.
- Assist the director of education and communication with managing client's media relations activities, including building and maintaining relationships with local, state and national media; handling media inquiries; evaluating media outlets; pitching stories; interview preparation; coverage analysis; and content development.
- Manage website and social media content and analysis, working closely with communications/marketing team members/consultants to amplify placements and content. Lead ongoing maintenance and annual review of website.
- Track industry/market trends and make appropriate recommendations to address them through content generation and media placement.
- Support the director of education & communication to build and implement an organizational communication plan that aligns with, and supports client's goals and strategic direction. Develop and implement project specific communication plans as needed.
- Support the director of education & communication to develop and execute member engagement strategies. Monitor, analyze and communicate results of all media, communication, marketing and member engagement strategies.
- Support the director of education & communication to develop, manage and implement a style guide and crisis management plan. Work with clients staff to promote and ensure adherence to style guidelines and brand standards to ensure a consistent image across all communication channels.
- Serve as liaison and facilitator for select clients conferences. Represent client in select member communication forums. Actively participate in member advisory committees as requested. Actively and thoroughly develop and maintain positive professional relations with all clients members, external partners, NRECA, and related entities.
- Work as a team with clients staff to provide service and leadership to client's members and support all departments within the organization.
- Education and Experience: Knowledge is typically acquired through a Bachelor's degree in mass communications, public relations, marketing or advertising. A minimum of three years demonstrated success in marketing, communications, public relations and/or advertising is required. Familiarity and experience with energy policy preferred (not required).
- Job Knowledge: Significant communications experience with a blend of advocacy and media relations. Social media and website expertise with direct experience using WordPress, HTML and CSS. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, power point, graphics, and scheduling computer applications (Microsoft Office Suite). Knowledge of office operations and procedures. Knowledge of meeting and event planning.
- Skills and Abilities: Superior written communication skills; articulates messages using appropriate grammar, usage and vocabulary. Produce creative, persuasive, consistent long- and short-format copy for a variety of audiences for use across media platforms. Attention to detail and proofreading. Strong oral communication skills. Ability and desire to work in a team environment by effectively participating, cooperating and communicating with others at multiple organizational levels. Must be able to operate a personal computer and related software and databases. Ability to demonstrate accuracy and monitor own work to ensure quality. Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and utilize time efficiently. Must possess organizational and project management skills. Must be able to manage competing demands and deal with frequent change, delays, and unexpected events. Dependability including being consistently at work and on time, following instructions, responding to direction and soliciting feedback to improve performance.
- Physical/Mental Demands: Continuous mental and visual concentration requiring attention to detail and accuracy. Must plan and lay out complex work. Tasks require constant alertness and considerable mental concentration due to degree of difficulty, irregularity and variety. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds on an occasional basis.