Renewable Energy Development Director
At McKinstry, we’re proud to be a collective group of innovators and problem-solvers, builders and engineers, mentors and students. We strive to create a safe and engaging work environment that empowers you to do the work you are passionate about. We believe deeply that energy and facility services, engineering and construction are revolutionizing the built environment – and if you’re driven by our mission to transform ideas into meaningful relationships and together, build a thriving planet, McKinstry may be the place for you. Serving our community together is one of the ways we at McKinstry put our shared purpose into action. Total collaboration and a diverse, employee-centric work experience are what we can provide you. Integrated delivery and true consultative partnership is what you will help us provide for our clients. Our culture is what differentiates us and because of this, we seek exceptional talent that believes what we believe.
We are currently seeking a Development Director - Renewable Energy to join our team as a member of our growing Energy & Technical Services National Platform division.
- Responsible for Renewable Energy deal structuring, synthesizing project finance, contract documents, technical analysis, federal policy, state policy, utility policy into a sellable solution.
- Single point of accountability for developing high quality and creative Renewable Energy solutions to customers.
- Work with clients and development staff to develop technical, high-value solutions that solve our client’s needs.
- Oversee all direct and indirect project-related activities during development.
- Successfully manage delivering committed project objectives in development including deal structure, scope, schedule, budget, and customer expectations.
- Conceptualize and transition project from initial feasibility to development to implementation team.
- Negotiate customer contracts and minimize organizational risks around scope, schedule, budget, and margin goals.
- Successfully support and/or manage and lead project teams to a common goal of deploying Renewable Energy projects.
- Serve as primary and/or secondary point of contact with the customer in partnership with regional account executives.
- Educate internal and external customers of new offerings and solution upgrades.
- Make presentations to a variety of audiences; act as technical subject matter expert.
Business & Market Development
- Position responsible for being the Renewable Energy policy and market expert, continually developing and implementing tailored go-to-market strategies for McKinstry’s Midwest region.
- Actively and intimately involved with regional market Renewable Energy policy.
- Position specifically focused on commercial behind-the-meter Solar Photovoltaics and Energy Storage projects but will support all types of Renewable Energy project developments.
- Develop and maintain client relationships at a variety of levels in partnership with regional account executives.
- Develop and define and document project strategies, goals and objectives in partnership with regional account executives.
- Formulate business and sales strategy with the team to drive additional work with our customers.
- Support sales staff by generating preliminary assessments, technical solutions, fee proposals, presentations, studies, and other sales support and project development information and materials.
- Maintain relationships with building owners, contractors, consultants and vendors within the industry.
- Mitigate risk on behalf of the company.
- Coach and develop members of regional and project teams with respect to Renewable Energy subject matter, markets, and business opportunities.
- Form and lead successful project teams.
- Mentor assigned project staff.
- Matrix manage cross-functional teams.
- Act as a steward of McKinstry culture; communicate and influence policies and procedures.
- BA/BS degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Architecture, or equivalent field of study required.
- Ten (10) years of business, deal structuring, project finance, Renewable Energy, Solar Energy, project development, real estate and/or facility services project management experience required.
- NABCEP (Sales), CEM, PE, LEED, CPM, Six Sigma, professional designations a plus.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook required; working knowledge of SharePoint and CRM preferred.
- Knowledge of:
- Commercial solar & energy storage markets.
- Renewable Energy financing options including Power Purchase Agreements, tax-exempt leases, loans, proformas, and utility incentive programs required.
- Knowledge of local Renewable Energy policy in Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin.
- Knowledge of local Renewable Energy policy in Ohio and Michigan a plus.
- All phases of developing complex owner direct design-build projects preferred.
- Construction management, solar energy modeling calculations, and Renewable Energy industry standards.
- Financial models required.
- Performance contracting preferred.
- Public market MUSH (Municipal, University, Schools, Hospitals) vertical.
- Contractual negotiations, public procurement vehicles required.
- Strong public speaker in front of others, creating and giving technical and sales presentations required.
- Demonstrated experience navigating long, complex, service business sales cycles and approval processes.