Senior Communications and Engagement Associate
For more than 27 years, Fresh Energy has been speeding Minnesota’s transition to a clean energy economy to ensure that our region enjoys good health, a vibrant economy, and thriving communities today and for generations to come. Our mission is to shape and drive realistic, visionary energy policies that benefit all. Together we are working toward a vision for an economy we thrive in and energy that ensures our well-being.
Starting salary range for Policy Associate is $58,000-64,000, based on experience.
This is a full-time, exempt position, working 40 hours per week. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
Speeding the transition to a clean energy economy will require an inspired and engaged public. Fresh Energy’s Senior Communications and Engagement Associate plays a central role in communicating effectively about Fresh Energy’s work and inspiring people across the state to be part of the solution. This highly collaborative position works closely with Fresh Energy’s development and programmatic staff and contractors.
Print and online publications and social media:
- Prepare/update and execute communications plans that strategically address content, channels, readership, and budget against outcomes in collaboration with program departments and development staff.
- Lead Fresh Energy’s branded communications work ensuring a strategic, high quality approach across channels.
- Manage Fresh Energy’s website content and provide general administration of the site, including editing, formatting, and organizing new content, with assistance from technical consultants as needed.
- Edit and help write blog posts, newsletter articles, and other communications about Fresh Energy people, policies, and programs.
- Oversee the development and dissemination of Fresh Energy’s monthly Powering Progress e-newsletter, ensuring that content is strategic, comprehensive, and inspiring.
- Develop social media strategy, measure, evaluate, and retool for each relevant social media outlet.
- Steer Fresh Energy’s visual identity and ensure we use compelling photos, infographics, and other tools to communicate effectively.
- Ensure Fresh Energy is using the best, most effective communication tools and regularly measure results, conduct A/B testing, and use other strategies to maximize effectiveness.
Policy-focused communications and strategy:
- Work with Fresh Energy’s content experts to develop and implement policy-specific communications strategies including message framing, use of best messengers, and deployment of key staff and partners.
- Plan and execute policy-focused communications projects (videos, campaigns, earned and paid media, Twitter and other social media) to achieve priority results.
- Regularly evaluate progress, test approaches, and lead other refinements to ensure best results.
- Provide regular trainings, briefings, and coaching to staff to continuously improve the communications ability of our team.
- Act as the organization’s primary point of contact for media inquiries, producing talking points, background materials, and media resources as needed.
- Create and distribute news releases/statements and other communications with media contacts.
- Help identify priority media outlets for advancing specific Fresh Energy policy goals and objectives.
- Provide policy staff with messaging guidance and support for presentations and other deliverables that align with Fresh Energy’s communications plan.
- Collaborate with management on messaging and planning for crisis communications.
Engagement and base-building:
- Strategically build the base of people who are aware of/involved in Fresh Energy across major metrics (email newsletter subscribers, event attendees, etc.)
- Lead strategy and collaborative execution of Fresh Energy branded programmatic events, serving as point person for staff teams to ensure effective completion of promotion, materials, speakers, and venue interface, logistics, day-of event needs, follow-up, and evaluation.
- Coordinate with staff to identify events where Fresh Energy should have a presence to achieve programmatic goals and/or build the organizational profile with key constituencies and provide staffing and materials.
- Synthesize and analyze metrics and adjust strategies as needed to reach base-building targets.
- Collaborate with Fresh Energy individual giving staff, providing content for donor-related communications materials.
- Provide tailored communications for key audiences, such as businesses and foundations and assist in coordinating outreach to these constituencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher with five or more years of professional experience in communications, media relations, and engagement.
- Experience in preparing and executing communications plans
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to interpret and synthesize complex information and to write and edit materials tailored to specified media and audiences.
- Excellent project management capabilities, judgement, and independent/strong decision-making abilities.
- Advanced knowledge of current, multichannel communications strategies and best practices.
- Project and event management experience, including managing time, resources, and multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Strong technical aptitude including experience in WordPress or similar content management systems. Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator a plus.
- Understanding of nonprofit fundraising; ability to frame and communicate projects to funders.
- Ability to successfully deliver on key organizational priorities by working effectively across departments and with multiple and diverse internal/external stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise editorial and brand quality control across the organization.