Senior Development Manager
Founded in 2009, Apex Clean Energy is an independent renewable energy company focused on bringing utility-scale generation facilities to market, from site origination and financing to turnkey construction and long-term asset management. With a team of over 200 professionals and the nation’s largest renewable energy project portfolio, Apex is a leader in the transition to a clean energy future. For more information, visit www.apexcleanenergy.com.
|Base and bonus commensurate with experience.|
At the direction of the Vice President of Development and Regional Director of Development, the Senior Development Manager will manage activities surrounding the procurement, management, and oversight of both external and internal resources required to develop utility-scale wind energy projects in the Midwest area of the United States. In this role, you must possess the experience and skills required to lead multi-million-dollar infrastructure projects, preferably related to wind energy projects. The position’s work scope will encompass the entire life cycle of a project from early-stage development to construction.
Our ideal candidate will come in to this role with a genuine passion for renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least 5 years of renewable energy project development experience. Our ideal candidate has a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoys working on a dynamic and diverse cross-departmental team. You understand how to drive projects through key development milestones and interpret the technical intricacies, are proficient at negotiating contracts, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. Our ideal candidate is a personable self-starter who seizes the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues and thrives in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
In this role, you will lead community and client relationships throughout the development process, and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage to help us successfully get our projects across the finish line. So in addition to strategic project management and demonstrated technical acumen, the ideal candidate will have the ability to effectively communicate with a high level of precision and integrity to internal and external stakeholders presenting coherent arguments using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed research and analysis.
- Manage and lead the development process of utility-scale wind energy projects
- Represent Apex with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, RTOs, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process
- Oversee and manage state, federal, and local permitting efforts and approval processes for utility-scale electric generation projects
- Manage the preparation and delivery of permitting documentation
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations
- Manage project financial models, project design and generation interconnection activities
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners
- Help to coordinate the project interconnection process
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners
- Organize and supervise project budget, schedule and proforma
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements
- Develop and execute project marketing strategy in close collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
- Travel to project site locations and attend stakeholder meetings
- Undergraduate degree (master’s preferred) in development related field with a strong academic record
- 5+ years of utility-scale energy development experience; direct wind development experience strongly preferred
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations
- Knowledge of commercial wind & energy storage markets
- Understanding of renewable energy financing options and project financial models
- Experience with county and state permitting processes. Experience in MN, ND, and/or SD preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams while earning buy-in from team members to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Experience managing land agents
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to productively take ownership of projects while communicating collaboratively throughout the project’s life cycle.
- Adept at problem-solving
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of safety, honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Willing and able to travel 40%-50%
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or satellite office in Lake Elmo, MN