Senior Regulatory Advocate
The Citizens Utility Board of Minnesota (CUB) is the independent advocate for Minnesota utility consumers. CUB works at the Public Utilities Commission, the state legislature, and with Minnesotans around the state to help residential and small business consumers understand their utility bills and options and to ensure utility service is affordable, reliable, and clean.
CUB is a growing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 2016. Our work culture is outcome-oriented, flexible, collaborative, and nimble. We have found success in frequently testing new strategies and quickly evolving to respond to new opportunities and as we learn what works.
CUB seeks a creative and ambitious leader to help take advantage of the enormous opportunities for Minnesota consumers in the quickly evolving energy world. The Senior Regulatory Advocate will lead CUB’s work at the Public Utilities Commission to enhance consumer protections and pursue opportunities for cleaner, more affordable utility service. They will work closely with the Executive Director to create and execute a vision for CUB’s regulatory program, coordinated with CUB’s work in legislative policy and direct consumer outreach. The Senior Regulatory Advocate will currently be CUB’s only staff person focused on regulatory advocacy. Over time, they and the Executive Director will build a team of dedicated advocates with complementary skills.
The Senior Regulatory Advocate will be key to shaping CUB’s policy strategies and activities as the organization grows. The position will require both thought leadership to construct and advocate for a consumer-centered clean energy vision, and the strategic and technical ability to advance that vision in the regulatory arena.
The Senior Regulatory Advocate will be responsible for focusing on new technologies and utility innovation, in addition to traditional areas of utility consumer advocacy. CUB expects to intervene in topics including grid modernization and advanced metering infrastructure, advanced rate design, and new utility business models, data access.
The Senior Regulatory Advocate will help CUB make the most of opportunities for Minnesota consumers by positioning the organization to respond effectively to utility filings as well as by proactively creating opportunities in the regulatory sphere.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Lead CUB’s work at the Public Utilities Commission, including intervening in regulatory proceedings, managing consultants, and planning ahead to create opportunities.
- Prepare and present thorough analyses of utility rate designs, investments, and other topics.
- Develop strategies to preserve and advance clean, reliable, affordable energy for Minnesota residents and small businesses.
- Coordinate with partners and stakeholders in executing the above, and represent CUB in policy working groups and stakeholder committees.
- Support CUB’s Executive Director in developing the organization’s legislative advocacy platform and positions, and occasionally represent CUB in legislative advocacy.
- A strategic mind.
- The technical ability to dive deep into complex regulatory policy issues, while keeping the big-picture objectives front of mind.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Minnesota’s energy industry, energy policy, and the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission; technical experience in utility rate design and planning processes; at least 5 years of experience before the PUC or in comparable settings. Candidates licensed to practice law in Minnesota will earn distinction.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-directed with the flexibility to thrive in an evolving, collaborative team environment.
Send a resume and cover letter to Annie Levenson-Falk, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.