Senior Renewable Energy Environmental Project Manager
ERM is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 5,000 people in over 40 countries and territories working out of more than 160 offices.
ERM is seeking a Senior Renewable Energy Environmental Project Manager - Permitting and Compliance in our Minneapolis, MN office to assist with environmental impact assessment and regulatory compliance for energy facilities and energy-related development projects in the upper Midwestern and Midwestern United States (IA, IL, IN, OH, MN, ND, SD, and WI). This position will focus on renewable energy projects, including wind and solar projects. The Projects are often fast-paced, multi-faceted, and geographically diverse. The position will require a candidate to work both independently and to lead project teams and the capacity to manage varying priorities and multiple tasks in order to work on multiple projects concurrently and meet deliverable deadlines. This is an excellent opportunity for an environmental professional looking to advance their career with a global environmental leader and expand ERM’s geographic footprint in the renewable energy sector.
- Manage large and complex projects, either single or multi-site, on time and to budget including elements such as scope and delivery requirements, KPIs, budgeting, resourcing, planning, coordinating field and other technical work and managing health and safety and risk aspects. Including but not limited to; project plans, schedules, project management software, and monthly reporting.
- Act as client “relationship owner” for project cycle and support, related to key client initiatives, including day to day activities such as base line surveys, pre-construction avian and bat studies, cultural resource surveys, special status species surveys and wetland delineations/permitting and/or more strategic meetings around the needs of their legislative and/or regulatory aspects like state siting review applications/processes.
- Generate technical proposals, and participate in business development with existing clients and identify new leads. Maintain client relationships to support repeat business.
- Facilitate relationships on behalf of the client with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and State Historic Preservation Offices.
- Contribute technical, subject matter or project management expertise on due diligence reviews, environmental critical issues assessments, phase 1 site assessments, impact assessment deliverables, and overall quality control review.
- Oversee multiple project teams, working with environmental permit applications by federal, state or local regulatory agencies for renewable energy projects.
- Collaborate with other ERM practitioners to execute impact assessment and capital project permitting (ERM services broadly include baseline studies, environmental impact assessment, routing studies, land planning, and facility siting & permitting).
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in environmental studies, planning, geography, civil or environmental engineering or related natural resources science field of study.
- At least 10 to 15 years of environmental impact assessment and natural resources permitting experience on renewable energy projects, including consulting for private-sector clients.
- Working knowledge of key natural resource regulations, including the National Environmental Policy Act, Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act, and Section 7 of the Endangered Species Act.
- Experience with federal, state, and local permitting in the Upper Midwest and Midwest, in particular with the preparation of applications for renewable energy projects for the Public Utility Commissions in these states.
- Experience conducting desktop and online studies or research on natural resource or resource planning topics, Geographic Information System, map interpretation (National Wetland Inventory, U.S. Geological Survey, aerial photography).
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite software.
- Demonstrated ability to research and prepare concise and accurate technical documents.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative member of a project team.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, which includes being comfortable and effective at communicating complex technical knowledge and concepts to other staff, clients, regulatory agencies, and project stakeholders.