Solar PV Design Engineer
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service. Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
Depends on qualifications
40 hours a week
Mortenson is currently seeking an experienced Solar PV Design Engineer to provide Solar PV design engineering support throughout the proposal and design phase of the project.
- Perform string size calculations
- Design Solar PV systems, including 1-line diagrams, array layouts, fence layout, road layout. Layouts to be performed in AutoCAD.
- Establish Solar PV basis of design including module selection, string sizing, ground coverage ratio, inverter selection, inverter power factor requirements, inverter loading ratio, and cable sizing.
- Perform energy performance modeling using PVSyst software. Primary use is of PVSyst, but some knowledge of NREL System Advisor Model (SAM) and Plant Predict is required.
- Assess/survey site conditions and anticipate issues that may arise during construction.
- Research and development in solar technology for new product development and stay current on new technological developments in the field.
- Demonstrated structural, mechanical, and electrical design skills, ability to generate accurate, highly‐detailed construction drawings
- Use Excel spreadsheets and calculations to size Solar PV systems.
- Understanding of utility PPA and Interconnection requirements.
- Assess project team and processes to identify how current technologies are being used, how to apply lean techniques, and identify potential areas for improvement
- Research and test new technologies with Mortenson team members in order to achieve greater efficiency
- Develop new technology evaluation methods and standards
- Apply knowledge of engineering principles and practices to tasks, particularly when analyzing current technical tools, and evaluating tools
- Generates new ideas, goes beyond the status quo; recognizes the need for new or modified approaches
- Communicate field observations with design engineering to achieve design solutions
- Read technical articles and attend Solar PV training to keep up with latest products, design techniques, and construction strategies.
- Stay on top of latest NEC changes.
- 2-5 years of experience in solar PV system design, preferably utility scale.
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD and related Autodesk software.
- Must be proficient in PVSyst and related solar performance modeling software.
- Demonstrated electrical, structural and mechanical design skills, and the ability to generate accurate, highly-detailed construction drawings.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills, including the ability to communicate in a positive manner with project managers, other engineering/design team members, management and installation contractors to foster an environment of superior coordination.
- Good problem solving and critical thinking abilities and a proactive work ethic. Must take accountability of own body of work, closing each project by design completion efficiently, while maintaining accuracy and strict attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to clearly define objectives, exercise sound technical judgment, take on increasing levels of responsibility and to thrive in a small, flexible and dynamic work environment.
- Strong ability to apply innovative and creative skills to problem solving
- Experience with on-site trouble-shooting of technology and automation of manual processes
- Knowledge of National Electric Code is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related field
- Minimum two years in PV Solar construction management or PV Solar design
- Working knowledge of NEC code and NE safety code a plus
- Basic understanding of construction techniques and project management practices
- Current driver’s license