Clean Energy Job Board
Sustainability and Resiliency Director
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch Our Story: https://www.hdrinc.com/our-story
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The primary duty of the Sustainability and Resiliency Director, working internally as part of our Cross Sector Services program, is to provide strategic focus on positioning HDR as a preferred service provider for market sectors and leadership in technical aspects of sustainability and resiliency services delivery. This position will report to the Cross Sector Services Director and will collaborate with the Business Group Sustainability and Resiliency leads for overall market trends and drivers, resource allocation, key hires, quality control, and technical excellence. There are no direct reports associated with Sustainability and Resiliency Director; however, budget is afforded for other staff to assist in the execution of the sustainability and resiliency program’s technical practices, conference attendance, and travel expenses. More specific duties include:
- Project and Program Support Responsibilities – This position will serve as a focal point for the Business Groups to deliver the necessary sustainability and resiliency services and create alliances across the company to drive delivery of quality sustainability and resiliency services for HDR’s clients. This position will work closely with other technical Business Class Directors, Business Group Directors of Professional Services, Regional Business Group Directors, and Operations Directors on delivery of existing projects
- Enhance Technical Services – Coordinate with Business Group Sustainability and Resiliency leads on determining staffing needs; identifying and mentoring existing staff with interest in climate action, resiliency, and sustainability disciplines; and recruiting key hires. Enhance the sustainability and resiliency community of practice across the Business Groups and collaborate with other relevant practices integral to climate action, resiliency, and sustainability services, such as: Coastal Resiliency, Environmental, Waste Planning, Air Quality, Strategic Communications and Community Planning & Urban Design. This position will also serve as a liaison to the Corporate Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Director. Additional duties include technical support, quality oversight, best practice development, project leadership, and principal-level program/project management.
- Marketing and Business Development – This position will assist in developing HDR’s global sustainability and resiliency capabilities with the goal of servicing the sustainability and resiliency needs of our Business Group clients. Additional duties include supporting internal and external client relationships, recruiting and staff development, and major pursuit coordination. This position also encompasses supporting capture planning efforts, pre-proposal visitations, proposal preparation coordination with technical and marketing staff, presentations and negotiations. This position will work closely with various Market Sector Directors and Client Managers developing long-term tactical growth plans to best serve the sustainability and resiliency needs of HDR’s clients, including:
- Economy-wide decarbonization, encompassing energy efficiency, electrification, renewable energy, and low-carbon fuels, and carbon capture and sequestration.
- Climate change risk, vulnerability assessment and adaptation
- Advisory services
- Sustainable infrastructure planning and design
This position will also play a key role in HDR’s sustainability and resiliency leadership position in industry through collaboration with Business Group Sustainability and Resiliency leads to identify and prioritize industry organization committees and leadership opportunities, to identify thought leadership topics, and present at select industry conferences.
This position requires the following skills, attributes and experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in Sustainability, Planning, Architecture/Engineering or similar sustaionability and resiliency related degrees.
- Minimum of 15 years in leading regional or national sustainability and resiliency services for major infrastructure development.
- Maintained client relationships, and have a track record of success in this arena.
- Experienced in development and management of strategic marketing programs for sustainability and resiliency service.
- Experienced in development and management of a wide range of client relationships and specific program and/or project pursuits.
- Experienced with industry associations and maintains a visible profile in the markets.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with client managers, technical directors, business group directors and operations staff.
- Be willing and have the ability to travel domestically up to 30-40% of their time, and travel internationally when needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to HDR values and an attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Certification or professional licensing in and sustainability field (e.g., ENV SP, LEED, etc.) preferred, but not required.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.