Transmission & Distribution Planning Engineer
ALLETE Clean Energy, based in Duluth, Minnesota, is an independent power producer and supplier that acquires or develops capital projects to create energy solutions for North America’s sustainable energy future. With our operational and entrepreneurial experience, we’re open to all types of business relationships. An ALLETE company (NYSE:ALE), ALLETE Clean Energy owns and operates wind farms in four states with a total capacity of more than 500 megawatts and has additional projects underway that will increase our footprint to six states and more than 720 megawatts over the next year.
- Facilitate comprehensive, coordinated, and transparent planning of Minnesota Power's transmission & distribution systems in order to provide reliable and economic service to existing and new Minnesota Power customers
- Develop and maintain computer models of the distribution system for planning and design
- Perform studies to evaluate current and future transmission & distribution system needs and performance, propose and analyze possible solutions, and meet regulatory requirements
- Facilitate collaborative development of major transmission & distribution projects with a cross-functional team of internal stakeholders to ensure successful and coordinated project outcomes
- Prepare formal planning reports and project scope documentation
- Coordinate transmission & distribution system modifications with external entities (other utilities, customers, regulatory bodies and the general public)
- Work with a team of engineers to maintain a coordinated long-range transmission & distribution plan and recommend projects for inclusion in the annual capital budget
- Provide ongoing technical support for internal and external stakeholders for project planning, development, and implementation
- Research new technology for potential corporate application to support grid modernization, improved reliability, and the integration of distributed resources
- Successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to work independently, creatively solve problems, and show strong interpersonal and communication skills
- A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering is required for this position, power option preferred.
- Certification as an engineer in training (passed the FE exam) is desired
- Candidates with a qualifying Bachelor's degree obtained by May 31, 2020 will be considered.
- No experience required
- Candidates with related utility experience, such as electric utility engineering internship experience preferred
- This position may be subject to assessment of skills, job match and/or aptitude.