Southwest CERT empowers communities and their members to adopt energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy technologies and practices. Join us!
- Export more renewable energy in the region than energy imported and consumed, largely through conservation
- Encourage development of renewable energy projects through entrepreneurship
- Collaborate with local partners to spread energy efficiency news and success stories about clean energy projects
- Increase the use of biofuels in the region
- Encouraging community solar photovoltaic (PV) farms, researching the feasibility and practicality of mobile renewable energy systems in the region.
- Providing resources to educational groups (e.g., YES! and MNSCU).
- Working with The Minnesota Project and the Minnesota Pork Producers Association to investigate air quality and energy efficiency on farms.
- Developing a Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) pilot project in the region.
Upcoming Southwest Events
Recent Blog Posts
Tue, 07/21/2015 - 12:20pm
The Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA) has recently partnered with the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) to offer online courses in its BuildingEnergy Masters Series. This partnership expands the MREA’s scope of training from renewable energy technologies to now include...
Fri, 07/17/2015 - 10:35am
ENERGY STAR certification is a nationally recognized symbol of building efficiency. It tells current and potential occupants that owners care about running the building well, being financially prudent, and being environmentally responsible. There are currently two separate grant opportunities for...
MN Dept. of Commerce
Thu, 07/16/2015 - 4:22pm
The Minnesota Department of Commerce has just announced two new financing programs that are available for local governments and public entities in the state interested in pursuing energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. New Rev It Up Program to help local government units finance...
Southwest Case Studies
Everyone would like to save money on utility bills, and most people want to conserve our natural resources, right? Well, in Southwest Minnesota,...
Director and Instructor of the Center for Renewable Energy Education & Demonstration, Roger Aiken recently took some time to sit down with CERTs...
With a vast agricultural industry and resources spread over fields and acres, how do you measure the true renewable energy resources of Minnesota?...
- Anne Dybsetter, University of Minnesota Extension
- Cheryl Glaeser, Southwest Initiative Foundation
- Paul Pierson, US Department of Agriculture
- Steve Flohrs, Martin County Commissioner, RMEB
- Roxanne Hayenga, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- David Henkels, Jackson County Commissioner, RMEB
- Ken Hoime, Rock County Commissioner, RMEB
- Nan Larson, Agriculture Utilization and Research Institute
- Steve Ritter, Lyon County, RMEB
At Large Members:
- Julie Rath, Redwood Area Development Corporation
- David Benson, University of Minnesota Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships, Energy Committee
- Miron Carney, Mayor, City of Slayton