West Central Region
West Central CERT empowers communities and their members to adopt energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy technologies and practices. Join us!
- Work with farmers and small rural businesses to educate them about opportunities around energy efficiency and renewable energy projects
- Help farmers and rural businesses access funding for clean energy projects, including from existing resources like the USDA Renewable Energy for America Program(REAP) and Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)
- Foster closer connections with regional cooperative utilities and municipal utilities to help increase adoption of both energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Advance community solar gardens in and with communities across the West Central region and work with local cooperatives to reach new subscribers
- Explore connections between planning and energy, including around specific efforts like prairie restoration
West Central Contact
Recent Blog Posts
Tue, 08/09/2016 - 2:34pm
EPA’s RE-Powering America’s Land Initiative (RE-Powering) encourages the revitalization and reuse of current and formerly contaminated lands, landfills, and mine sites through the development of renewable energy projects, when such development is aligned with a community’s vision for...
Wed, 07/27/2016 - 11:59am
This was reposted with permission from the original blog on the Great Plains Institute website. The Great Plains Institute, one of the CERTs partner organizations, is working with communities across the Midwest to develop local solar resources and capture the economic and environmental value of...
Mon, 07/25/2016 - 4:02pm
Community Solar Gardens can be an excellent opportunity for cities, counties, and other local governments to get involved in solar energy and engage community members. Some have already taken action, but many are still wondering whether or not a subscription is the right fit for their local...
West Central Case Studies
Director and Instructor of the Center for Renewable Energy Education & Demonstration, Roger Aiken recently took some time to sit down with CERTs...
NEEDS PDF; TPD: March 18-24 The City of Paynesville sensed for some time that they needed to replace their Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning...
In 2009, the University of Delaware created a model that helps to more effectively provide communities with support and information about...
- Bob Bonawitz, UMN SW Regional Sustainable Development Partnership Board
- Eric Buchanan, UMN West Central Research and Outreach Center
- David Fluegel, UMN SW Regional Sustainable Development Partnership Director
- Troy J. Goodnough, University of Minnesota Morris
- Sonya Gylsen, Master Naturalist
- Steve Nelson, Environmental Well & Septic
- Yusef Orest, Agralite Electric Cooperative
- John Paulson, City of Hutchinson
- Leroy Petersen, Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar Economic Development Commission
- Scott Randall, Solar Energy Professional
- Bob Ryan, European Energy Connections
- Connie Schmoll, Kandiyohi County & Willmar Economic Development Commission
- Dan Tepfer, Kandiyohi Power Cooperative