West Central Region
West Central CERT empowers communities and their members to adopt energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy technologies and practices. Join us!
- Work with farmers and small rural businesses to educate them about opportunities around energy efficiency and renewable energy projects
- Help farmers and rural businesses access funding for clean energy projects, including from existing resources like the USDA Renewable Energy for America Program(REAP) and Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)
- Foster closer connections with regional cooperative utilities and municipal utilities to help increase adoption of both energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Advance community solar gardens in and with communities across the West Central region and work with local cooperatives to reach new subscribers
- Explore connections between planning and energy, including around specific efforts like prairie restoration
West Central Contact
Upcoming West Central Events
Recent Blog Posts
Tue, 06/21/2016 - 9:01am
There are now more than 100 cities in Minnesota participating in the Minnesota GreenStep Cities program. Most of the cities involved are small-to-medium-sized cities where the support of a savvy intern can help staff go the extra step on accomplishing best practices. But how should a mutually-...
Mon, 06/20/2016 - 1:44pm
Minnesota is not too shabby when it comes to clean energy these days. Below are recent reports from two national organizations, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), highlighting Minnesota’s place in the solar and wind energy landscape...
Dept. of Commerce
Wed, 06/08/2016 - 8:23am
If your community is doing work on energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy and would like to be recognized for it, submit your initiatives to the new Minnesota Clean Energy Community Awards! The Clean Energy Community Awards are an acknowledgment of the work done by Minnesota...
West Central Case Studies
Director and Instructor of the Center for Renewable Energy Education & Demonstration, Roger Aiken recently took some time to sit down with CERTs...
NEEDS PDF; TPD: March 18-24 The City of Paynesville sensed for some time that they needed to replace their Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning...
In 2009, the University of Delaware created a model that helps to more effectively provide communities with support and information about...
- Bob Bonawitz, UMN SW Regional Sustainable Development Partnership Board
- Eric Buchanan, UMN West Central Research and Outreach Center
- David Fluegel, UMN SW Regional Sustainable Development Partnership Director
- Troy J. Goodnough, University of Minnesota Morris
- Sonya Gylsen, Master Naturalist
- Steve Nelson, Environmental Well & Septic
- Yusef Orest, Agralite Electric Cooperative
- John Paulson, City of Hutchinson
- Leroy Petersen, Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar Economic Development Commission
- Scott Randall, Solar Energy Professional
- Bob Ryan, European Energy Connections
- Connie Schmoll, Kandiyohi County & Willmar Economic Development Commission
- Dan Tepfer, Kandiyohi Power Cooperative