Northwest CERT is focused on energy conservation and renewable energy generation that provides opportunities within Northwestern Minnesota
Northwest CERT Focus: Northwest CERT set a goal to achieve a 1% per year improvement in energy conservation for the next 10 years and a goal for a 1% per year increase in renewable energy generation for the next 10 years with a focus on efforts that would provide generation opportunities within Northwestern Minnesota. The team feels that these two goals give the region something to strive for and allow it to target its initiatives on local communities that can then realize the benefits of local generation.
Northwest CERT Priorities: ground source heat pumps, small-scale biomass power plants, and exploring biogas digesters at agricultural processing facilities.
Northwest Regional Partnership: The University of Minnesota’s Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships are one of our primary CERTs partners, especially in the Northwest Region. Click here to learn more about them and their work.
Northwest Steering Committee
- Paul Aakre, UM Crookston Faculty
- Bonnie Abel, East Grand Forks Water and Light Department
- David Bahr, Bemidji State University
- Jason Carlson, Tri-Valley Opportunity Council, Inc.
- Roger Garton, Rural Renewable Energy Alliance
- Linda Kingery, UM Northwest Regional Sustainable Development Partnership
- Chris May, New Horizon Resort & Lodge
- Linda Mickelson, Red Lake County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Mike Moore, Thief River Falls Community Development
- Darryl Tveitbakk, Northern Municipal Power Assn
Volunteer & Get Involved
Looking to get involved in your community and make connections with others in Minnesota who are passionate about clean energy and energy efficiency? There are lots of different ways to plug in. Learn more
Northwest Community Groups
Upcoming Northwest Events
Recent Blog Posts
Northwest Case Studies
CERTs Supported Projects
CERTs awards mini-grants to community groups for energy efficiency and clean energy projects across Minnesota. We awarded grants in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. The average amount is $5,000. We have descriptions and maps of all of the projects that we’ve funded. Check them out to see what folks are doing! See projects
Northwest Region Reports
More Resources for the Northwest Region
- May 26, 2011 – Meet ‘n Greet at BSU
- February 24, 2011 – Meet ‘n Greet at Dahlgren’s
- August 20, 2010
- June 19, 2009
- January 27, 2009 (presentations)
- October 20, 2008 (presentation)
- June 18, 2008 (presentations)
- February 5, 2008
- July 31, 2007
- April 25, 2007
- November 2, 2006
- April 27, 2006
Smart Grid Technology in NW MN
April 21, 2010
- Smart Meter Basics and Benefits (650kb pdf) by Darryl Tveitbakk, Northern Municipal Power Agency
- Smart Grid Technology Use (123kb pdf) by Corey Thompson & Bonnie Abel, East Grand Forks Water and Light
- Smart Grid & Beyond (2.3mb pdf) by Joe Jacobson, Eusco
Strategic Energy Plan: Each regional team spent considerable time mapping regional energy use and identifying clean energy opportunities in its Regional Strategic Energy Plan. Read all the details on the Regional Plans page.
Farm-scale Oil Extraction & Sustainable Uses for Oil and Meal – UMN RSDP and Partners (Summer 2008)
County Renewable Energy Inventories: The goal of these inventories is to match up local renewable energy sources with local energy demand and lessen the reliance on non-local, non-renewable energy. Click here to learn more. Click on a link below to download the inventory for your county.