On May 12, 2014, with the publication of the Request for Proposals (RFP) Notice in the State Register, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) has officially announced the opening of the Fiscal Years (FY) 2014-2015 Environmental Assistance (EA) Grant Program for applications.
Approximately $1 million is available for EA grant awards to provide financial assistance for researching, developing, or implementing projects and practices related to all aspects of waste management and prevention including hazardous substances, toxic pollutants, and problem materials. Additionally, market development and education grants are also allowed. The MPCA seeks to encourage environmentally-sustainable practices and approaches to pollution prevention and resource conservation. Eligible applicants, grant award amounts and minimum matching fund requirements will vary by Focus Areas and Preferred Proposals.
Funding for Cities — Submit by July 16 proposals to enact LEED-ND, green building policies, PUD ordinance, HO covenant guidelines, energy rating/ disclosure, organized waste collection, climate adaptation policies/projects. Over $100,000 is available for cities under this grant round that just opened.
Applications for financial assistance will be for Proposals in the following nine (9) Focus Areas:
- Focus Area A. Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs)
- Focus Area B. Food Waste Reduction
- Focus Area C. Green Chemistry & Design Curriculum
- Focus Area D. Reuse/Repair/Rent
- Focus Area E. Environmental Solid Waste Management Practices
- Focus Area F. Communities Adapting to Climate Change and Extreme Weather
- Focus Area G. City Sustainability Policy Development
- Focus Area H. State ENERGY STAR Commercial Buildings Goal
- Focus Area I. School Site Sustainability and Student Environmental Education
The deadline for application submittal is no later than 2:00 p.m. Central Time as follows:
- July 16, 2014: submission deadline for Focus Areas B – I
- August 13, 2014: submission deadline for Focus Area A
Request for Proposals
- PDF Document Request for Proposals Funding Guidance — FY 2014-15 Environmental Assistance Grants
- EA Standard Grant Application Form (p-f2-27c)
- EA Budget and Expenditures Report (p-f2-27h)
- Frequently Asked Questions (p-f2-27b)
- Sample Grant Agreement (p-f2-27g)
- State Register Notice – May 12, 2014
Environmental Assistance Grants Program Resources
- Environmental assistance grant and loan program
- Legislative declaration of policy; purposes
- Declaration of state environmental policy
- Solid Waste Grant and Loan Programs
- Minnesota Legislative Districts
- Minnesota Session Laws 2013
Assistance and Information
The MPCA may consider Proposals other than the identified Focus Areas/Preferred Proposals if the MPCA deems the Proposal “time sensitive” and furthering the Agency’s mission of working with Minnesotans to protect, conserve, and improve our environment and enhance our quality of life. Potential applicants may request consideration of their Proposals as time-sensitive if the grant request is less than $10,000, and the applicant can demonstrate why they cannot reasonably abide by the FY 2014-15 Grant process and timelines. Refer to the Request for Proposals Funding Guidance for more information.
For EA Grant Program assistance, contact Mary Baker: 651-757-2208 or 1-800-657-3864 toll free.