Looking back at 2019
Work Highlights by Audience (click to expand)
CERTs works across the entire state of Minnesota with a wide range of audiences to help them implement clean energy projects. Below is a summary of key work that happened in 2019!
- GreenStep program: 131 cities & 3 tribal nations
- SolSmart solar-ready jurisdictions: 9 in Greater MN designated with CERTs assistance: Carlton County, Clay County, Crystal Bay Township, cities of Bemidji, Dawson, La Crescent, Mountain Iron, Warren, Winona
- Cities Charging Ahead impacts: 6 acquired EVs (Bloomington, Burnsville, Eagan, Elk River, Morris, Woodbury); 5 installed EV chargers (Burnsville, Eagan, Elk River, Red Wing, Morris)
- Saving Watts & Drops: Distributed 6,000+ energy saving items with 10 utilities: munis in Brainerd & New Ulm; Kandiyohi, Lake Region & Todd-Wadena co-ops; IOUs MN Power, Otter Tail Power & Xcel Energy; gas utilities MN Energy Resources & CenterPoint Energy
- Hosted EV events: Engaged 38 utilities from across MN at forums in Moorhead, Saint Paul, Windom, and at FarmFest
- Business Blitzes: Visited 630+ businesses in 9 communities: Crookston, Morris, Mahtomedi, Rosemount, Lake Crystal, Arlington, Brownton, Winthrop
- PACE: 24 businesses completed solar & energy efficiency projects; 5 counties signed JPA: Clay, Kanabec, Norman, Todd, Wadena
- Site Assessments: Conducted free solar site assessments for 29 farms
- Solar Land Leasing Guidance: Provided assistance to 25 farms and landowners
- Programming: 6 CERTs Seed Grants & 6 Saving Watts & Drops efforts
- MN Energy Resources: Direct installs in 176 multifamily units, including low-income
We Led Clean Energy Cohorts
There is a certain kind of magic that happens when people are able to learn, connect, and work together with their peers, locally and across the state, to advance clean energy.
Cities Charging Ahead!
A cohort of 28 cities worked together across Minnesota to explore electric vehicle (EV) readiness. Participating cities received technical assistance focused on actions and best practices to accelerate the adoption of EVs.
The Solar Possible initiative offered state agencies, local governments, and schools in Xcel Energy territory the opportunity to procure solar through a joint RFP process.
We Created Useful Tools & Guides
A big part of helping Minnesotans build clean energy is highlighting opportunities and offering step-by-step guidance. Below are two examples of key tools in 2019, and you can see more here.
Clean Energy Job Board
The most popular resource on the CERTs website in 2019 was our job board, which featured 250 opportunities across technologies and sectors.
Air Source Heat Pump Guide
Air source heat pumps (ASHPs) use electricity to heat and cool, and are an emerging energy efficient technology in Minnesota. This guide educates consumers and provides next steps.
We Wrapped Up 42 Seed Grants Projects
Awarded in 2018, these community-based clean energy projects were supported by CERTs and completed in 2019. See 2020 grant awards.