Clean Energy Job Board
Energy Conservation Specialist
Sustainable Resources Center, Inc. (SRC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the cause of healthy homes. Our mission is to create healthy and energy-efficient home environments in partnership with families and communities.
Our vision is that all families live in homes that are safe, energy efficient, have clean indoor air, and are free of mold, toxins, pests and excess moisture.
$25.00/hour starting, non-exempt (eligible for overtime)
40 hours per week split evenly over Monday - Friday. Exact start and end times are flexible.
SRC is looking for an Energy Conservation Specialist to join our Energy Programs team. Under the direction of the Director of Weatherization, this position performs field inspections, calculates energy savings, determines cost-effective and practical repairs, completes data entry, creates work orders for contractors, and educates clients about utility bills and energy conservation.
If you’re interested in a career where you can contribute to the health and safety of your community, and you enjoy working with a committed, diverse and collaborative group of people, read on!
WHAT YOU’LL DO AS AN ENERGY CONSERVATION SPECIALIST:
- Perform 4 to 5 on-site home energy audits per week following the MN Weatherization Assistance Program protocol. This includes inspection and analysis of the building envelope, heating systems, electrical, plumbing and all other aspects of building characteristics that may be considered for home improvement, with an emphasis on energy conservation.
- Use a wide variety of testing and diagnostic equipment (blower door, infrared cameras, and furnace testing equipment, CO testing, oxygen, efficiency tests) for the purposes of identifying energy conservation potential and unsafe or hazardous conditions.
- Complete data entry into program specific software per program requirements.
- Create work orders for mechanical and insulation contractors.
- Assist in the tracking of contractor progress on issued work orders.
- Make and receive phone calls to/from clients and contractors.
- Conduct Quality Control Inspections following the MN Weatherization Assistance Program protocol.
- Responsible for knowing MN State Weatherization Policy Manual program rules and guidelines.
- Very occasionally be available for some evening or weekend appointments, depending on client availability.
> Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
> Have home-building experience OR have studied Building Science or energy auditing (in either case, you understand the home as a system).
> Are currently certified as a Building Performance Institute (BPI) Building Analyst and/or Building Performance Institute - Quality Control Inspector (QCI), or are willing to become certified within 180 days. We will pay for your training!
> Are able to relate to and communicate effectively with individuals from many different cultures and socioeconomic situations – on the phone and in person. You’ll get to meet - and help - a lot of people!
> Can lift 75 pounds.
> Have the ability to crawl, climb, and otherwise move about in confined, dusty and dirty work sites like attics and crawl spaces.
> Have computer skills and are very comfortable with modern office technology such as a copier, a scanner, and Microsoft Office Suite.
> Have daily access to an automobile and a relatively clean driving record (more details below).
BONUS POINTS (aka preferred qualifications): Experience in residential energy auditing including US DOE Weatherization Protocol, and furnace testing experience.
This is a full-time position eligible for paid time off, vacation, paid holidays, 401(k) with employer match, medical and dental insurance, employer-paid life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability benefits, and a cell phone stipend.
Energy Conservation Specialists drive their own vehicles throughout the community to visit our clients. Applicants will need a valid driver’s license, a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of our insurer, and daily access to an insured automobile. Mileage is reimbursed at federal rates.
PLEASE NOTE: Full COVID-19 vaccination by the start of employment is required for the safety of our staff and clients. Requests for accommodations for disability-related or religious reasons can be discussed after an offer of employment has been made. 100% of our staff is vaccinated.
To be considered please email your resume and a cover letter to: [email protected] or by standard mail to: Human Resources, Sustainable Resources Center, 1081 10th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414.
Sustainable Resources Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Women, BIPOC and GLBTQIA+ individuals are especially encouraged to apply.