Clean Energy Job Board
Center for Energy and Environment is a data-driven, consumer-focused, and community-based clean energy nonprofit with locations in the North Loop of Minneapolis and St. Paul's Midway. We provide practical energy solutions for homes, businesses, and communities to cut energy waste and harmful emissions. We collaborate regularly with field peers and partners and employ curious people who enjoy learning and contributing to Minnesota’s quality of life and economy. Our workplace invites open door communications, respect for diverse backgrounds and points of view, and an emphasis on work-life balance.
Depending on skills and experience, we estimate the hiring range for this position to be between $58,000 and $63,000.
- Ability to work overtime as needed or required to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to perform work indoors in an office environment, regardless of whether cubicle, open office, or remote/private office.
- Ability to view and effectively operate a personal computer, either desktop or laptop, for extended periods of time creating, composing, and reviewing documents and spreadsheets.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the preparation of general accounting functions of the Center for Energy and Environment. This position will work with internal staff, program managers, as well as external clients and customers to facilitate accurate and timely posting of accounting entries. This includes reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, monthly client invoicing, data entry and analytics, and report production. The Senior Accountant also plays a key role in preparation of the organization’s annual financial audit workpapers and the preparation of internal financial statements.
The Senior Accountant with a billing focus reports to the Controller and has no supervisory responsibilities.
This is full-time position that provides a wide range of benefits including Paid Time Off (PTO), medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance as well as a profit-sharing retirement plan. This position is based in our North Loop office but is currently remote to align with CEE’s COVID-19 response policies. We anticipate this position to return to the office in accordance with CEE’s return to work plan.
Responsibilities - Billing Focused
- Perform and analyze financial information related to, but not limited to statement of financial position (assets and liabilities), statement of activities (revenue and expenses), account reconciliations, journal entry preparation, and net assets.
- Manage process of revenue tracking to ensure revenues are recorded as earned.
- Assist in the financial contract management process by interacting with project managers, performing monitoring activities, creating monthly and quarterly billing invoices, budget recaps, and preparing required client reports.
- Assist in month-end closing, journal entry, preparation including recurring entries, and preparation of financial statements.
- Perform reconciliations including bank accounts, inventory, fixed assets, and revenue activity.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports, provides information to support audits and other analysis schedules.
- Interact with clients about payment status on unpaid invoices.
- Assist with preparation of annual audit workpapers and GAAP financial statements.
- May establish, modify, document, and coordinate accounting control procedures.
- May direct and coordinate activities of other accountants and clerical workers performing accounting and bookkeeping basics.
- Maintain appropriate file retention (both paper and electronic) over the course of the fiscal year so at the audit time supporting documentation can be gathered quickly.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with the accounting team and across with other departments to ensure day to day accounting objectives are achieved.
- On-going monitoring and workflow processing through the shared accounting email address.
- Must be able to travel to both the St. Paul and Minneapolis office locations.
- 2 or 4-year accounting degree and 2+ years of experience (or equivalent) in the accounting field.
- General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel and MS Word and basic office experience required, along with ability to work in other software platforms (i.e., internally developed software; external software like PowerLender, Salesforce).
- Understand how transactions flow from creation through to financial reporting.
- Must have the ability to pay exceptional attention to details, have excellent writing, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to plan and meet individual timelines, operating independently with changing scope of responsibilities as well as support colleagues.
- Knowledge of accounting software (Sage Intacct), nonprofit accounting is preferred, but not required.
- Ability and aptitude to quickly learn technical information and new software systems.
Apply online at https://www.mncee.org/work-with-us