The City's recently adopted Comprehensive Plan forecasts by 2040 Rochester will have 55,000 new residents, 50,000 new jobs, and 24,000 new housing units. This new department will play a vital role in ensuring this forecast is realized while partnering with Public Works, Building Safety, and Administration to achieve the vision "to be recognized as America's most innovative development services team."
Starting salary range is $64,786 to $76,221 depending on qualifications, with advancement to $91,464.
40 hours per week
The responsibilities listed below are representative of the scope of work performed within this classification. Work is performed both independently and in cooperation with the Sustainability Director, the Department head, and/or in coordination with other City teammates, operating partners, community groups, and other public and private organizations.
- Fostering a culture of sustainability across all operational disciplines of the DMC EDA and City and across the community;
- Identifying and prioritizing areas for sustainability initiatives.
- Planning and developing long- and short-range sustainability programs.
- Prepare annual greenhouse gas emissions inventory, carbon footprint, and annual sustainability reports; disseminate results and analysis of progress toward carbon neutrality, utility management and overall sustainability.
- Assist with the Energy Commission and Energy Integration Committee (EIC) and work with other constituencies to develop and implement strategies to meet organizational and city-wide sustainability targets, seizing energy efficiency and reduction opportunities, use of renewable energy sources, fostering a stronger culture of resource conservation, and evaluating and purchasing carbon credits.
- Assist with the effort to update the City's energy action plan and transition it to a sustainability and resiliency action plan to include all aspects of the City's sustainability efforts
- Provide technical direction for the planning, design, construction, operation of sustainable buildings; work with project teams and building operation teams to advocate for sustainable practices in capital projects, master planning, and existing buildings; ensure that the design, commissioning and operation of facilities and infrastructure achieve or exceed sustainability goals.
- Assist with the completion third party green certifications as required.
- Assist with the completion or management of incentive applications for all energy-related projects; perform life cycle cost energy calculations and assist with incentive and grant opportunities.
- Assist with the preparation of renewable energy project concepts for the City and DMC.
- Assist with the development and management of pilot programs relating to waste collection, transportation or other programs.
- Create and support sustainability programs and promote sustainability and educational collaborations across the community.
- Serve as a City representative in presenting, explaining, and discussing the views, interests and policies of the City to the Council, Energy Commission, City task forces, targeted community groups, and other interested parties inside and outside the community.
- Prepare timely, well-documented studies and analyses which provide a sound foundation for policy decision recommendations by City staff and policy decision making by the Council.
- Networking and best practice sharing with peer organizations across the region, state and nationally to maintain current working knowledge of sustainability best practices;
- Keep interested parties current with reliable, accurate, and documented information.
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in environmental science studies, planning, public administration, sustainable business, sustainable project management, sustainable or environmental engineering or related field and two years of related experience. OR An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may also be considered.
Licenses and/or Certifications
Possession of a valid driver's license
Knowledge of sustainability theories and practices and local, national and global sustainability and environmental initiatives and familiarity with the networks of organizations (governmental, non-governmental) involved in advancing sustainability policy and action.