Systems Operator 1
$22.45 - $37.49 Hourly
- Nature of Work
Under direct supervision and with guidance, operates and maintains high pressure steam heating and electric generating equipment at a refuse-fired cogeneration facility on an assigned shift.
- Examples of Work
- Operates a refuse feed crane and maintains proper refuse storage pit conditions
- Operates auxiliary equipment including pumps, heat exchangers, ash conveyors and condensers
- Assists in maintaining the operating log of all power plant parameters on the shift
- Assists in the operation and maintenance of stokers, fans, hydraulic systems, ash control systems, and pollution control systems associated with a refuse or conventionally fired boiler
- Assists in the operation of makeup water purification equipment
- Assists in the completion of necessary reports and records related to the monitoring and maintenance of equipment
- Monitors and controls refuse tipping floor operations
- Assists in the operation of high voltage electric generation and distribution equipment
- Conducts preventative maintenance tasks as assigned
- Performs miscellaneous housekeeping in and around the work area
- Performs other related work as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Some knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation and maintenance of high pressure boilers, furnaces and related support equipment
- Some knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation and paralleling of electric generation equipment
- Some knowledge of the operation of refuses and conventionally fire furnaces
- Working ability to determine the nature and extent of system malfunction and take remedial action
- Ability to read and record data from gauges, meters and microprocessor based data acquisition systems and accurately interpret such data
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in emergency situations
- Ability to work with computer-based facility control and equipment maintenance systems
- Ability to understand and comply with written and verbal operating procedures and instructions
Persons with disabilities: the above is a general listing of job duties. Essential and non-essential functions may vary by individual position. Reasonable accommodations may be available for both essential and non-essential job duties.
- Minimum Qualifications of Education and Experience
Second Class B Stationary Engineer’s License (2B) or equivalent industry experience to be able to obtain a valid Minnesota Second Class B Stationary (2B) Engineer’s License within three (3) months of employment.
Must obtain valid Minnesota Second Class A Stationary (2A) Engineer’s License within fifteen (15) months of employment.
Regular and reliable attendance is a necessary component of job/position. Individuals required to use County vehicles and equipment must have a valid driver's license and be free of any major traffic violations for the last three (3) years.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Must obtain MPCA Provisional Waste Combustor Operator certification within six (6) months of employment (training will be provided by facility).
- Successful completion of the Systems Operator 1 Skills Requirements within evaluation period (Internal training program presented by facility).
Starting rate of pay is based on education, experience and qualifying certifications held by the applicant at time of hire. The $22.45 - $37.49 pay band is base rate of pay. Maximum certification pay is $4.20 and is added to the base wage.
This position provides a career path. Provided the applicant meets contractual certifications, licensing, and time served, the applicant may be eligible to be promoted.
Future Promotional Opportunities:
OP2/MM2 – $24.97 - $41.70 hourly, plus cert pay
OP3/MM3 – $29.50 - $49.27 hourly, plus cert pay
Apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/olmsted/jobs/4272017/systems-operator-1